Lag time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droot

Brewing since 1991
Reaction score
Not a question, but just a statement.

I have read of lag times up to 72 hours on this board.

Yesterday I brewed an Oatmeal stout. Starter was Wyeast 1.6 litres 1084 on a stir plate for 2 days.

I pumped Oxygen into the ball valve at the bottom of the keg for 5 minutes, no stone just pure O2. Wort is 68*f.

5 hours later I had a thin layer of yeast on the top, Today (15 hours after pitching) I have

THIS

012.jpg

Just because I was taking pictures, Here is Old on the right and new on the left. As you can see I am still using OLD because it works.

017.jpg

David :)

How full with beer is the keg? Do you leave it uncovered while it ferments?

Pretty sweet.

There is about 11.5 ot 12 gallons in the keg. I keep a pan lid on it. The conical has 5+ gallons of fat tire clone that is done.

I have a 5.5 gal cube full of unfermented house ale. I'm going to keg what is in the conical tomorrow, sanitize it, crop the yeast from the keg, put the yeast and wort in the conical. This will be a first for me. I will aslo add 4 or 5 minutes of oxygen to the conical once the yeast is pitched.

David :)

Back