Is it to late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
long answer - noooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yea the hop growth cycle starts in March. Although Freshops still has some rhizomes for sale, planting them will only give you root growth for next year, you won't get hop cones at all.

even if you planted them two months ago, you don't get much the first year. My plants this year are already larger than they were at the end of the season last year. Last year being the first season, they were working on roots and i didn't get much more than a few OZ of hops for all 10 plants, but this year it should be substantially more.

I just purchased 12 rhizomes from Adventures in Brewing and the guy said as long as I get them in the ground ASAP they'll be fine. No cones this year but, next year they'll be great.

Eastside

My hallertau went into the ground last year on Father's day after one of last year's rhizomes failed. It's shorter than the other two I planted at the beginning of last season but much farther along than all six that I planted this year. Here in MI they'll stop growing vertically around the end of June, but just two weeks was plenty of growth to make some roots and a good start for this year. IMO we're still a solid three weeks away from "don't plant" territory.

Back