What do you folks want in a label?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bil2k

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I work at an online label company that sells blank labels for users to print at home on their computer. We're currently expanding our selection of items to include labels for those wish to create custom beer, wine, and water bottle labels.

I'd love to get some feedback from you guys and hear what's desirable.

What shapes and sizes? Waterproof material? Non-permanent adheisive so the bottles can be reused? Colors other than white? Let me know.

Thanks

-Bill

Easy to remove...tough to smudge when used with an inkjet. Precut like Avery.....

:rockin:

What about a label for the neck of the bottle or the cap? How would you guys like a sheet that has cut outs for all 3 sections (body, neck, and cap)?

I rarely bottle (have kegs) but I think the neck & cap would not be used that often. The main body of the bottle is probably where you'd get your sales as long as they'd adhere sufficiently and removal is addressed. You could search here for removal + label and get a lot of hits on their frustrations and this is commercial beer labels we're referring to. sticking while in a bucket-o-ice would not be the main objective as much as easy to print, stick & remove. 8x11 sheets right guys?

Neck would be fine, and possibly less work. If you're going to offer all three sections (neck/body/cap) on a sheet, make sure to offer just a sheet of neck sections if that's all the brewer wants to add.

- Easy to remove
- Easy to apply
- Precut
- Inexpensive
- Waterproof doesn't matter since I usually cool by fridge and not ice water

I agree with the easy removal. I tried using sticky labels from an office supply store and it was a huge pain. I currently print out labels on regular paper, cut them down and tape them on, even though that is a bit time consuming it is real easy to remove. If you could sell me sheets of precut stickers that could go through my printer at home, that are about as sticky as a post it note, I'd give you my CC # right now.

Thing is, if the sheets are going to have sections for all three label types, what kind of software will we be able to use to print them out? Does your company also provide that?

good point about the three different sizes of labels. I believe that MS word has a template built in to make labels formated for a standard size of label paper so that when you print it out each sheet has the label printed out right on the precut label part. I imagine you could format it to work with any type but that seems like to much effort, particularly once I've had a homebrew or three

Labels, labels, labels...la ti da...do-re-mi...blah, blah, blah...I think we are all looking for BEER-type labels.

All the other programs, MS Word, Labels Unlimited, Sure Thing, etc, give us tons of labels, but nothing beer bottle sized.

The other MAJOR requirement we are all looking for is ink that won't run when placed in a cooler of ice and water...now you know why many labels are foil-type.;)

Neck and cap would be nice, but not on the same sheets as the regular labels, please! I don't think I would use them as often. I can't see myself ever using the cap labels, but I would probably use neck labels for special batches.

Easy removal with no residue to clean off is huge thing.

I'm not sure how you could make it not smear when going through an inkjet...maybe some kind of special paper? But if it's possible that would be awesome.

Primarily size to fit 12 oz bottles, but fitting the larger 22 oz bottles would be really cool too.

As for width, I think 3/4 of the bottles circumference would be pretty good.

These have to be affordable, too! Remember, in one batch of beer I'm going to be using something in the neighborhood of 54 bottles. The batch itself costs anywhere from 30 to 50 bucks. I'm not going to want to spend too large a percentage of that price on stuff that isn't contributing to the actual beer.

As far as cost goes, I print it on regular paper so things are pretty cheap. I adhere with milk and the labels stay on really well, except when they get wet. They fall right off when wet. It would be nice if they could take a little bit more punishment but still come right off.

Actually, I think we're looking for responses from those that pose the questions. ;)

I would like cap labels, not so much for the artistry of the label, but so I know what I am chilling. it sometimes gets a bit confusing when I have several different brews in the closet.

Sean said:
I would like cap labels, not so much for the artistry of the label, but so I know what I am chilling. it sometimes gets a bit confusing when I have several different brews in the closet.

When I used to bottle, I'd use little dabs of acrylic paint colors to differentiate. Simple, cheap and worked like a champ. Just toss a color code page on the fridge for reference. Go to WalHell and get model car paint set.

WalHell - funny.. You don't like walking around wallyworld for hours and hours on your day off to save 60cents on tube socks...

Back