Any Ideas Why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cap46

Reaction score
I like brewing stouts and porters. I use a lot of Black patent malt and chocolate malt at least 8 oz of each or more in 5 gal. batch.
I have cut back on the amount of priming sugar when I bottle, I have let them sit in secondary for a month and I still seem to have a problem that they have way to much carbonation. I have changed sanitizers and every one I brew with this much of these 2 malts seem to do this even if I put them into the fridge which I really don't like to do, would much prefer to drink my beer at room temp. Any body else have this problem.:mug:

Some of them I have let ferment for 45 days in secondary. I store all of my beer in the basement which is probably around 60 most of the time.

AHA!! See #2. After you prime your beer it has to sit in about 70-72F for a couple of weeks so it can ferment some more in the bottle (bottle conditioning that produces natural carbonation).

After they achieve the carbonation level you like THEN you can place the beer in a cooler area (cold storage basement/fridge, etc.).

Thanks I'll give that a try on my next batch. But another question I do all my beer the same way. I don't have a problem with stouts or porters that don't use that much of those speciality grains. I might change recipe and ad coffee malt but lower the black patent and chocolate.

No questions is that I only have problems with the ones that i use 8 oz or more of black patent and chocolate. If I brew a stout and don't use as much and ad coffee malt I don't have the problem. I store all of my beer in my basement after I bottle.

Interesting, I haven't noticed any trouble with as much as a pound of chocolate and 4 oz. of BP. Both of these grains have complex sugars that might be fermenting slowly. 60F is a little high for longterm storage and low for carbonating, so maybe a few oddball yeast are "lagering" the leftovers.

if the beer is overcarbonated then raising the temperature is only going to make it ferment more... this is an ale right?

How much are you using now? 3/4 cup corn sugar?

I use 2/3 cup and let the beer sit a little longer before drinking it....

Yes it is a ale. I use 2/3 cup or less when I prime.This has happened to me off and on for last 2 years when I brew with that much of these two grains. For research since I have'nt been able to figure out I brew a stout about every 3rd batch. Plus I really like stouts. I have changed amount of time in fermenters, I have cut back on amount of priming sugar, I have lowered the amount of these 2 grains and added others such as coffee malt. When I lower these 2 grains below 6 oz each or less I don't seem to have problem. I also switched my sanitzer thinking I had a nastie.

Back