Reusing bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read this thread and it seems the general consensus is either a) infection is possible, but that's true of new caps if you don't sanitize them properly or b) it's just not worth it, caps are just too damn cheap. Here's the thing, though. I am stuck in my apartment right now in a snow storm with LHBS closed and I don't have enough caps. Is there any possibility that it's OK to reuse caps? Thanks.

what in gods name made you start bottling without caps man? :drunk: If you somehow pryed those suckers off and didn't bend them at all, aren't bottle conditioning (because of pressure) and plan on drinking these beers in the next week or so then go for it. Otherwise look around for some water bottles, soda bottles, 2 liter bottles and various other plastic bottles with screw caps that you can just toss in the fridge and then drink without the worry of losing the pressure.

I would not just because even if you managed to get the caps off perfectly, they still won't be the right shape to put back on. Compare a new cap with a used one and try to figure out how you are going to get a cap that is precrimped onto a bottle with a good seal.

what in gods name made you start bottling without caps man? :drunk: If you somehow pryed those suckers off and didn't bend them at all, aren't bottle conditioning (because of pressure) and plan on drinking these beers in the next week or so then go for it. Otherwise look around for some water bottles, soda bottles, 2 liter bottles and various other plastic bottles with screw caps that you can just toss in the fridge and then drink without the worry of losing the pressure.

I didn't start, I counted before even thinking about racking to the bottling bucket.

BigKahuna said:
You have read the work...now you ask the question.
Are you looking for advice...or an accomplice?

The former. I asked the question because of the four replies not by the OP in that thread, only one mentioned possible infection. What I am asking is if anyone really thinks infections is a high risk factor for reusing caps.

Parker36 said:
I would not just because even if you managed to get the caps off perfectly, they still won't be the right shape to put back on. Compare a new cap with a used one and try to figure out how you are going to get a cap that is precrimped onto a bottle with a good seal.

I am thinking if you bend the edges back a little bit, you should be able to get a decent seal after recapping.

I found another thread on here regarding the topic at hand and have decided to wait until I can get new caps. Thanks for the replies.

Well, I had the same question in mind and I read that thread before my last/second batch. Since, I could not feel any feedback/replies from experimentation and believing that could work, I did reuse successfully bottle caps.

I reused two different bottle caps: those that I bought (old new!) and those from the commercial beer bottles !!! I reused only the caps that were:
  • flat with only the side/edge bent
  • seal in good shape

Considerations/Techniques:
I limited my bottling to only two different bottle shapes. I did match back caps shape/brand and bottle shape/brand to ensure the best match and seal. I checked each bottle after capping them. Overall it is more management than buying new caps.
How many time a cap can be reuse? That is another question!

I opened about 20 of them up to now and did not get any problem.

I made sure to buy extra PET bottles (AND caps). Even if I use glass I have a backup just in case Murphy rears his ugly head.
yeah, yeah, I have two hydrometeres too, what of it? :p

I say go for it! I had the same idea just a bit ago. I pushed a used cap on a bottle fille with water. It leaked. I used the capper and... You guessed it- no leak. That's not to say it wouldn't hold the pressure... But give it a try. I just don't feel right about wasting. Let me know if it works.

Okay- ignore my last reply. Someone on here mentioned water tight and airtight... It is water tight and not so much air tight. I did the vinegar and baking soda experament. Gasses escaped when I shook the bottle. Go buy bulk caps!!

Another reason not to reuse is if you're buying fancy O2 absorb caps they lose net of their magic after becoming wet.

It's crazy that there are brewers out there who don't even reuse bottles and were sitting here thinking about reusing caps!

Another reason not to reuse is if you're buying fancy O2 absorb caps they lose net of their magic after becoming wet.

It's crazy that there are brewers out there who don't even reuse bottles and were sitting here thinking about reusing caps!
I have opened two bottles from my most recent batch, a Cranberry Gruit, which were flat and stale; I reused Some bottles caps—use a lighter to pop off tops and they are not ever bent—from my previous brews, which I suspect is the reason for staleness.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Before you go any further, please go back to your OP and substitute all references to "bottle caps" with "condoms". Does the question still make sense? Some things just aren't reusable.
**** im out of condoms..... Good thing I have a couple of used ones in the bin...Best before us still the same right?

I always reuse my caps. But just to be sure I cap half my batch with brand new and the other half with the used ones. I use a bench capper and always try to take off the caps gently

Back