Adding yeast when bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oooFishy

Reaction score
I just made a 9.5% belgian ale and I'm bottling today. I was wondering if it was really necessary to add fresh yeast to the beer when bottling with sugar. If so, how much is generally added to 5 gal. I'm not concerned if it takes a little longer for the beer to fully carbonate w/o fresh yeast. Thanks for your input.

It's been in secondary for over a month.
If I don't add yeast, is there a risk the beer will never carbonate?

you have enough yeast after one month to carbonate.

edit: it also will not hurt to mix some neutral dry yeast in with the priming sugar.

Wont that lead to bottle bombs?

No, too much sugar makes bottle bombs. You could have lots of yeast, but if there's only so much sugar to eat they can only make so much CO2.

You could also brush up and suspend a little yeast from the bottom of the fermenter as you rack to increase the cell count in the beer.

No, too much sugar makes bottle bombs. You could have lots of yeast, but if there's only so much sugar to eat they can only make so much CO2.

You could also brush up and suspend a little yeast from the bottom of the fermenter as you rack to increase the cell count in the beer.

this would be my suggestion.

But thats just me:D
JJ

Latest posts

Back