Pitch the whole pack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verminaard

Reaction score
As of a couple hours ago, i successfully completed my first all grain brew day. :)

I made a 3 gallon batch...Pale Ale...OG of 1.063

The plan was to use a half pack of safale US-05 yeast since this is a half recipe, BUT now that i see how much trub i carried into my primary (clearly i should have let the kettle settle out more...one of those lessons), i'm wondering if i should go ahead and pitch the rest of the yeast to speed the primary along and get it transferred over to secondaries?

I'm thinking less time fermenting on the trub is a good thing? Also wondering if some of the yeast is going to be buried and rendered ineffective, or if they will dig their way out and get to work?

Either way it's a couple bucks of yeast so no big deal, but i'm curious for a second/tenth opinion?

I would just pitch the whole pack. Better to have too much yeast than not enough.

Also what appears as a giant amount of trub is also some of your fermentable sugars that will be eaten up as fermentation progresses. You will have far less at the end of fermentation than you do on the day you go from brewpot to primary.

When I switched to all grain the first few batches I was like "whoa look at all this trub" but it always is far less by the end of fermentation.

Whole pack. Consider if you made a starter, you'd be pitching more than the whole pack in a full batch. Better too much yeast than too little, especially in a pale that you want nice and clean.

Thanks for all the input. I definately err on the side of caution in this instance. Intitial planning for half packs would save $50 bucks or so on the year not overkilling the batch, but you've given me some good points to consider on a recipe by recipe basis. :)

If you are into saving dough on yeast you could save it each batch. It's a relatively cheap and easy thing to do for any level brewer. Pack of ball jars from the grocery store and maybe a gallon jug and you're good. Done right and you could double your supply each batch.

Yeast washing/rinsing is such a money saver, especially if you plan to use the same yeast type. Check YouTube, there's some great videos and it's really simple to do.

Back