Advice on all grain kit purchase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zraeee

Reaction score
Just looking for some advice on which kit would be a better buy for the same price... I'm looking to buy something that won't need to be entirely upgraded in a year or two so hopefully one of these will be a good base to start with.

http://www.homebrewing.org/Beginning-Homebrew-All-Grain-Kit-Upgrade-6_p_1709.html

With this one I would also be purchasing a 6.5 gal glass carboy to use for fermentation instead of the included bucket.

http://morebeer.com/view_product/15912/102142/Personal_Home_Brewery_Kit_#4_-_Bottling_Super_Deluxe

For this one I have a cooler that would be converted into a mash tun, and I'd have to figure out what to use for sparge water/HLT.

Any advice at all would be extremely helpful!

Cheers,

Zach

Have you ever brewed before? Do you already have extract brew equipment? If so, you may not need a complete kit. You can buy a cooler and turn it into a mash/lauter tun yourself and batch sparge. If you need a bigger kettle, get at least a 10 gal. You can use your exisiting pot for sparge water heating. If just starting out, then I like the Adventures in Homebrew kit since it comes with a hard copy of John Palmers book.

I like the one from adventures in brewing more. They give you an extra SS kettle for sparge water & the cooler for mashing in. Other lil goodies as well for the same price. so adventures in home brewing has the better value atm.

I'm partial to AIH as well, since they're 5 minutes down the road, but unionrdr also has good points.

Do you have any equipment already? Most people start with extract, so buying a lot of the same things again doesn't much much sense. If you already have a cooler to convert to a MLT, then all you really need is a larger pot for sparge water (if an old extract kettle is too small), a brew kettle (most will suggest a 7.5-9 gallon pot with propane burner (a turkey fryer will suffice for most brews)), and maybe a few other odds and ends (immersion chiller, etc.).

I myself started with extract and even then I built up my equipment as cheap as possible: food grade buckets from work, cheap siphon, borrowed brew kettle from mother-in-law, lots of household items (strainer, measuring cup, spoon, etc.). While those $335 kits might provide some savings over buying individually, I've enjoyed slowly building up my inventory as my skills increased. Plus, I've never had equipment lying around that I didn't need yet, which is what I'd have been afraid with buying a kit like those.

Hope you can find the right equipment for your needs and price range!

Back