Caramel 10L 100%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OPKUTech

Reaction score
I have just recieved a free bag of Briess caramel 10L and due to being flat broke I thought I would try making my 'goto' recipe that uses 100% 2 row with 100% Caramel instead.

Any thoughts?

I have just recieved a free bag of Briess caramel 10L and due to being flat broke I thought I would try making my 'goto' recipe that uses 100% 2 row with 100% Caramel instead.

Any thoughts?

That would be a great idea, if caramel was a base malt. Unfortunately, it has no diastastic power, and it won't work.

You could go up to about 15% max of caramel malt in a beer, but even that is pushing it. About a pound or so is the most you'll want in a 5 gallon batch.

Thank you for this thread-link! Had no idea that Crystal malt had any of it's own fermentable sugars! The only thing I didn't get for certain from Nilo's experiments is he mentioned that Crystal malt may not add much sweetness to the final product, yet the attenuation goes down when compared to simply using base malt alone. I would think there are unfermentable sugars present in that case and thus additional sweetness, which is what I've always been told and seem to have experienced. Is this conclusive?

Back