Lowering FG without messing with OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zickefoose

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a Double IPA and my original gravity is 1.087 which is good for the style. But my FG is 1.022 (too high for the style). I want to keep the OG where it is but I want the FG to be lower (1.020 is the highest for the style).

Is there some way to do that? maybe add a little sugar toward the end of fermentation or something?

I realize I can always "fudge" my numbers a little bit for competition but I'd rather do it the true way.

If this is an all grain recipe, you can mash lower around 148 to make it a bit more dry. Otherwise, you can replace a bit of extract or base grains with sugar.

+1 to lower mash temp
Also, your grain bill can affect how fermentable your wort will be. There is also the option of replacing a small % of your grain bill with a highly fermentable sugar (cane, brown, agave, honey, etc.)

if it's not AG I would make a little mini wort, like half a gallon with a small amount of DME, corn sugar, hops and maybe some yeast nutrient. add all that to thew fermenter and it should get the yeast going again

Hmmm....Have you started this recipe yet? If not, is it your software telling you what FG to "expect". Can you give details about the recipe and your process.

Sorry it took a minute to get back to all you.

Its AG. I wanted to have a medium to heavy body so I was going to mash at 156°F.

So should I lower the amount of specialty and up the amount of pale malt?

If you want any helpful input, you will need to share your grain bill. If you want general advice on building a recipe, there are material/threads you can read on that. But specific advice like, lower crystal, up base, adjust mash temp, add/drop sugar, etc. can only come if we have more info. Otherwise, we're flying blind. We want to help, you just gotta help us help you. :mug:

Sorry it took a minute to get back to all you.

Its AG. I wanted to have a medium to heavy body so I was going to mash at 156°F.

So should I lower the amount of specialty and up the amount of pale malt?

I'll give this a try but you do need to get us more info.

156F is kind of a high mash temp. I would generally go no more than 154. Getting closer to 152 would be a better temp.

Can't answer how you should adjust your grain bill without knowing what's in it.

If you have brewing software you can make adjustments inside the software to show you expected results. You may or may not hit those numbers depending on the many variables involved in brewing.

Back