Trying my first IPA - Interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMama

Reaction score
Well, (yes I am a beer virgin of sorts - but NEVER a BMC man)

I am trying my first IPA (as now that I have been afflicted with HB, I am continually looking to expand my beer horizons) At any rate, I knew that it is dubbed as a 'hoppy' beer, but damn if thats not an understatement! Very hoppy nose, and WOW! I truly appreciate the value that hops add to the complexity of the beer now more so than I ever have. Although IPA isnt high on my list of 'must brews' Im still slowly enjoying it and appreciating its flavor and smell!

Still to try - Doppelbock and Arrogant Bastard Ale
Oh yeah, this is a Stone IPA.
-Me

Stone IPA is a fine example of the style. One of my favorites, according to the clone recipe in BYO made with Magnum, Perle, and Centennial. Do yourself a favor and try a few others with different hops. One of my other favorites is Bells Two Hearted Ale. All Centennial Hops. Pure awesome.

I go through periods where I'm into one style or another and can't get enough. I actually happen to be in hop head mode.
There are so many different versions of that style (any style really) I like Bell's Two Hearted, Stone, Founder's Centennial, Avery Ipa and yesterday I discovered Hop3 (squared) . All were excellent, all were hoppy to different extent and all were wonderful.

Just took a hyrdo sample of the BYO published Stone IPA clone. I made it for my Dad as it's his favorite beer. I'm not an IPA fan, but damn if it wasn't delicious.

For some funny reason, I seem to have a preference to my own brewed beer (Yeah, even though I only have a couple under my belt) It seems that regardless of the brew (okay maybe Im lying) I feel IMO that my beer is the tastiest.
Although I found what I am going to brew for myself next ;)
-Me

For some funny reason, I seem to have a preference to my own brewed beer (Yeah, even though I only have a couple under my belt) It seems that regardless of the brew (okay maybe Im lying) I feel IMO that my beer is the tastiest.
Although I found what I am going to brew for myself next ;)
-Me

Nothing wrong with that. I wonder what others think of my beer when I'm loving it! I'm drinking my first beer of my 2nd batch of IPA today and frankly, it's awesome - and quite alcoholic - am I judging it through beer goggles?! :mug:

I had a barleywine that someone described as "really good beer with a shot of grain alcohol in it". That was at 3 months. I am hoping it mellows out.

Revvy and JoeMama - glad to see you guys getting in on the hop-wagon!! :D

I too go through phazes with beers -- but them IPA's seem to always rise to the top...

Rev - what IPA recipe did you brew? I'm still tinkering with my house IPA recipe, but I'm oh so close....(hint, the 4# of Warrior, Cascade, and Willametter I bought of niko on here should be a clue)

I go through periods where I'm into one style or another and can't get enough. I actually happen to be in hop head mode.
There are so many different versions of that style (any style really) I like Bell's Two Hearted, Stone, Founder's Centennial, Avery Ipa and yesterday I discovered Hop3 (squared) . All were excellent, all were hoppy to different extent and all were wonderful.

I just discovered Hop3 (squared) not long ago from my brother who is a major "Hop Head" it's a great beer but I wouldn't consider myself a "Hop head" at all. I typically go for smoother/creamy beers (Guinness).

I have become hooked on the IPA's since my cousin turned me on to them. Problem is, once you get a mouthful of hops, you never wanna go back. I have some Hopzilla and Arrogant Brewer (Arrogant Bastard clone) in my fridge now. These were brewed at a "Brew Your Own" facility nearby. I used to love the Arrogant Brewer, but next to the Hopzilla, it doesn't even compare. My next batch (1st homebrew) is a Hophead IPA. I cannot wait to try it.

Stone Ruination IPA is a great highly hopped ale. It is called "Ruination" because they say it ruins your taste for anything else. I must say, they are right. I love those hops!!

Welcome to the vine.. Good one. I was not a hophead when I first started trying different beers either, but I kept trying them because they were so interesting. Eventually I came to really enjoy them, and so far my favorite has been Founders Harvest Fresh Hop. It's brewed with hops that are not dried. They go straight from the fields into the beer. There are more hop flavors than I have ever experienced.

Still need to try a few of the big names, but I do like SNPA (yes, maybe not a true IPA, but pretty hoppy), Founders IPAs, Bells Two-hearted, etc. I seem to prefer the American IPA style more than the others.

Still have not brewed my own, but I might decide to take on my friend's recipe for Happy Hodag #10, a very tasty IPA that started out as an attempt to clone Two-Hearted.

Back