Wanting to start AG single tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Mad Hatter

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am wanting to start an AG single tier system for my dad and I. I plan on running a three burner system off of propane. I have purchased three kegs already. I plan to use one for the HLT, one for the MLT, and one for the boil kettle.

I have a few questions. :) For starters, is it manditory to use the stainless steel ball valves, or can you use brass? How large of a propane burner do you need? And can this system be run off a single pump? I plan on using weldless bulkhead fittings for the valves, sight tubes, and the thermometers. I have a welder at home, so welding the cart together will be simple. Check out my print and see if I am on the correct track.

Thanks I appreciate it!
TMH

There's no reason it can't be done with a single pump. Brass valves work just fine, pickle them if you are concerned about the lead.

I use a standard turkey fryer for my HLT but put an adjustable 30 PSI regulator in place of the stock 10 PSI reg that came with it.

I use a Banjo burner to bring my 12 gal. of wort to a boil.

Do you run three burners then? Or do you go with two and use a HERMS system? I would like to go with just the three burners to keep it simple. How doe the plumbing look that I have in the fancy drawing? I would think it is OK, but the possibility of schoring my grain bothers me a bit.

TMH

I have a nearly identical setup -- and love it! Here's a thread on the build, and another thread with pics of it in use. I use 3 standard high pressure burners with a 0-30 psi reg. They provide more than enough heat. I got the orifices here. They allow you to hard plumb the burners. I direct-fire + recirculate the mash and use a single pump just like your sketch. If you get a good recirculation with low heat you won't scorch the wort/grain. I also use brass QDs from mcmaster. See this thread for details.

Cheers. :mug:

I have a nearly identical setup -- and love it! Here's a thread on the build, and another thread with pics of it in use. I use 3 standard high pressure burners with a 0-30 psi reg. They provide more than enough heat. I got the orifices here. They allow you to hard plumb the burners. I direct-fire + recirculate the mash and use a single pump just like your sketch. If you get a good recirculation with low heat you won't scorch the wort/grain. I also use brass QDs from mcmaster. See this thread for details.

Cheers. :mug:

Sweet, thank man!

TMH

I got my three kegs yesterday! I will now begin to cut the tops out of them. I am thinking though that I will make a cut about four inches long or so in four different places in top, then I will TIG some SS washers to the TOP so they will be a make shift stopper so that I can use the scrap piece as a lid. This should be a very intresting project. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TMH

I got my three kegs yesterday! I will now begin to cut the tops out of them. I am thinking though that I will make a cut about four inches long or so in four different places in top, then I will TIG some SS washers to the TOP so they will be a make shift stopper so that I can use the scrap piece as a lid. This should be a very intresting project. I will keep you posted on how it goes.

TMH

I think several people have done exactly that. I wish I had saved mine. Oh well.

I'm glad I held onto mine. I'm gonna take them to a welder and get the some custom work done hopefully.

I think I'll get the coupler removed and welded to a Soda keg like a bunch of other one I've got.

Soak in a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and Vinegar for a few minutes and then rinse. It will remove the surface lead from the brass.

As far as the design goes, that about what I want to start building pretty soon. Eventually I'm going to want two pumps so that I can fly sparge into the mash tun and pump the wort into the boil kettle at the same time. The single pump will work great for batch sparging.

Back