Igloo 48 qt MLT for $40

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shildebr

Reaction score
So I just finished building my first MLT and wanted to show it off and perhaps get some feedback.

Sorry I didn't include any construction photos or a parts list. I mainly followed the parts and procedures outlined in the "Cheap & Easy 10 Gal Rubbermaid MLT" thread. The only real change I made it the flexible neck that connects the manifold to the bulkhead. The hole on my cooler was about an inch off the bottom and in order to keep the manifold flat on the bottom I had to have some flexibility with that connection.

I plan on doing my first AG batch this weekend, so any feedback on my MLT would be greatly appreciated. Particularly if you see any problems I may have come brew day.

Thanks!

P.S. If you'd like a parts list and step-by-step, let me know I can get it.

MLT001.jpg

MLT002.jpg

MLT004.jpg

MLT005.jpg

Did you glue up your manifold, or just plug the pieces in? I can see pros and cons for both.

You got the same cooler as me. How do you keep the tubing bent that way? I would think it would want to try and straighten out and lift the manifold up.

2004184322185820694_rs.jpg

2004164533210757091_rs.jpg

sigmund said:
Did you glue up your manifold, or just plug the pieces in? I can see pros and cons for both.

I just plugged the pieces together. I want to be able to disassemble it for easy cleaning. And the pieces fit so tightly as it is, I'm not concerned with them coming apart on their own.

Also, I'm not worried about any leaks at the joints, because the purpose of the manifold is to take in liquid and leave out grain, which is exactly what any loose joint would do.

stever said:
You got the same cooler as me. How do you keep the tubing bent that way? I would think it would want to try and straighten out and lift the manifold up.

Well its only 1/2" CPVC, and with all the slits cut into it, its pretty flexible. The bend may look a little worse in those pictures then it actually is, and I think when I plop 12 lbs of grain on top, any bend that it does have will come out.

shildebr said:
Well its only 1/2" CPVC, and with all the slits cut into it, its pretty flexible. The bend may look a little worse in those pictures then it actually is, and I think when I plop 12 lbs of grain on top, any bend that it does have will come out.

The tubing I meant was the vinyl tubing connecting the manifold to the drain. that stuff seems pretty rigid to me. I would think it would want to lift the manifold up back up off the bottom of the cooler.

stever said:
The tubing I meant was the vinyl tubing connecting the manifold to the drain. that stuff seems pretty rigid to me. I would think it would want to lift the manifold up back up off the bottom of the cooler.

I just realized you're probably talking about the flexible tubing..... It stays put really well, doesn't try to lift the manifold at all. I thought about putting hose clamps around it, but the 3/4" tubing makes a nice tight fit around those 1/2" fittings.

I've got a 60qt Igloo Ice Cube cooler, with what is essentially a shelf on the side that the drain is on. I used a couple 45 degree CPVC joints and a small straight piece and got my manifold down on the bottom. I'll have to see if I can get a pic up. I haven't glued the pieces together, and don't know if I will. If I end up fly-sparging (I haven't used it, yet), then I don't think I'll bother gluing it, but if I'm batching (more likely), I think I should glue 'em together so I don't start knocking the pieces apart when I stir after adding sparge water.

It looks like you put a standard
Zinc coated washer on the inside
of the cooler. If so, will that be safe
with hot water / human consumption?
I notice others mentioning stainless fender washers.

Just wondering.

karbinator said:
It looks like you put a standard
Zinc coated washer on the inside
of the cooler. If so, will that be safe
with hot water / human consumption?
I notice others mentioning stainless fender washers.

Just wondering.

Zinc is a no no. You can try an autoparts store or home depot/lowes. Also you can use a nylon washer which I got from ace hardware if you can't find a SS washer.

Funny that you posted this... I just did this today!

Mash_Tun_001.jpg

Mash_Tun2.jpg

Mash_Tun_002.jpg

Its a 12 gal IGLOO Cube. I plan to Batch Sparge so I just went with the bazooka tube!!

:mug:

Back