Hangover cures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorowdy

Reaction score
My favorite is a breakfast burrito from the local shady joint and gallons of Gatorade. What's is yours?

Drinking water always seems to make me feel worse, but a soft drink or Gatorade helps a lot.

Also, for whatever reason, when I wake up hungover I always seem to feel better after a shower.

The trick is prevention. Huge glass of water, ibuprofen, and a B complex vitamin right before bed.

If I forget that, then lot's of water, caffeine and some greasy food the next day seems to help.

castillo556 said:
The trick is prevention. Huge glass of water, ibuprofen, and a B complex vitamin right before bed. If I forget that, then lot's of water, caffeine and some greasy food the next day seems to help.

^^This^^ and a few tacos and a beer for breakfast!

If I was careless in my 'prevention' then the best thing is to wake up an hour before you need to be awake, eat a banana, drink a large glass of water or Gatorade, take 4 aspirin (not advil/Tylenol/aleve) and go back to sleep. When you wake up, have a hearty and greasy breakfast and drink more fluids. Take some painkillers if you need 'em.

Can you tell I have had a few hangovers??? :drunk:
btw, this thread should be moved to chit-chat.

Ugh, I get baaaaad ones. My problem is I'll get stomach sick with the headache, so eating/drinking my way out of the hangover isn't always an option.

My hangover cure:

1/2 oz Pepto Bizmol
1/2 oz of something 90 proof such as gin or vodka
1/2 oz Niquill
1 ibuprofen crushed and dissolved into the above mixture

Down the ole hatch she goes, and go back to bed.

Besides that I would say ice water and sleep.

My hangover cure:

1/2 oz Pepto Bizmol
1/2 oz of something 90 proof such as gin or vodka
1/2 oz Niquill
1 ibuprofen crushed and dissolved into the above mixture

Down the ole hatch she goes, and go back to bed.

Besides that I would say ice water and sleep.

Not to be a...er...buzzkill (pun not intended) but NyQuil contains Acetaminophen which can do serious damage to your liver when combined with alcohol. You might want to steer clear of that.

Not to be a...er...buzzkill (pun not intended) but NyQuil contains Acetaminophen which can do serious damage to your liver when combined with alcohol. You might want to steer clear of that.

This is a myth...a single dose of acetaminophen, or even several appropriately sized doses of tylenol with not harm your liver, even if you have been drinking alcohol...I would caveat that this assumes a healthy liver to begin with, and if that's not the case, well you probably shouldn't be drinking!

Back in the day when I was involved in EMS, a few minutes of huffing on the oxygen would help. In extreme cases, getting your partner to start a line on you and getting a liter of lactated ringers...good stuff...

Oh, and COFFEE!!!

I've heard pedialyte does wonders for hangovers. But I usually just eat some good greasy food, drink a ton of liquids, and take a shower. That gets me 50% there, couple of beers later in the afternoon gets me the rest of the way.

biochemedic said:
This is a myth...a single dose of acetaminophen, or even several appropriately sized doses of tylenol with not harm your liver, even if you have been drinking alcohol...I would caveat that this assumes a healthy liver to begin with, and if that's not the case, well you probably shouldn't be drinking! Back in the day when I was involved in EMS, a few minutes of huffing on the oxygen would help. In extreme cases, getting your partner to start a line on you and getting a liter of lactated ringers...good stuff... Oh, and COFFEE!!!

What's a lactated ringer?! Sounds awesome.

Seems to be a bit of a consensus on greasy food the next morning.
Be hydrated before I start drinking.
Take a B complex vitamin before I start drinking.
If its going to be a particularly heavy night of drinking take another one before sleeping.
Drink a glass or two of water before sleeping.
Next morning/afternoon, whenever I wake up, greasy food and one or two beers.
Then a little something to clear my head ;)
If I don't have anything I need to do that day, I may take a good solid nap later.
If I do all of this, I will feel just fine to go out drinking again that night. Though I generally don't do that.

This is a myth...a single dose of acetaminophen, or even several appropriately sized doses of tylenol with not harm your liver, even if you have been drinking alcohol.

It's not a myth. I love debunking bad data as much as the next guy, but the alcohol/acetaminophen link is well researched and well documented. Ibuprofin is the way to go after/during a night of drinking. Acetaminophen will stress the liver.

What's a lactated ringer?! Sounds awesome.

Lol...pretty much a solution of sodium, chloride, potassium, calcium, and lactate. Generally used for volume replacement/other fluid needs when plain ol' NaCl won't cut it. I have heard first hand that it does indeed work wonders for hangovers (unsurprisingly--its basically IV gatorade with even more goodies).

As for the whole acetaminophen/alcohol thing...
*if you have a healthy liver* and aren't taking a lot (i.e. over 800mg or so), then you have nothing to worry about as long as you only do it occasionally. If, however, this is happening multiple times per week or your liver isn't as happy as it once was then problems can certainly arise.
(I only include this for the academic interest--I personally just take ibuprofen because it works just as well and carries significantly lower risks).

flyingfinbar said:
Ugh, I get baaaaad ones. My problem is I'll get stomach sick with the headache, so eating/drinking my way out of the hangover isn't always an option.

This used to happen to me a lot during my partying days. What worked for me was to buy one of those giant bottles (like 64 oz) of Naked juice Green Machine or Odwalla Superfood. They're both pretty similar- sludgy and green. And I would slowly work on it one little sip at a time for as long as it took, all morning or all day if need be, but I always felt 100% better by the time the bottle was empty.

sparkling water sorts out a bad stomach for me pretty quick, so no need for a tactical puke :D then a load of bacon gets rid of any other symptoms.

This is a myth...a single dose of acetaminophen, or even several appropriately sized doses of tylenol with not harm your liver, even if you have been drinking alcohol...I would caveat that this assumes a healthy liver to begin with, and if that's not the case, well you probably shouldn't be drinking!

Ok, being the nerd I am, I had to do some research. jro238 Looks to be right on the mark. I don't know how many of us on here would be classified as heavy drinkers in the clinical sense (probably more than would admit it), but it sounds like the gray area between acceptable dosage and dangerous dosage can vary quite a bit from person to person.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/overdoing-acetaminophen.shtml
http://www.envtox.ucdavis.edu/cehs/toxins/acetalc.htm (I don't know who takes 20 Extra Strength Tylenol in a day, but I guess if you're hammered and your judgment is really clouded, bad things could happen.)
http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06/22/is-it-safe-to-take-tylonel-after-drinking/

It's not a myth. I love debunking bad data as much as the next guy, but the alcohol/acetaminophen link is well researched and well documented. Ibuprofin is the way to go after/during a night of drinking. Acetaminophen will stress the liver.

I actually spoke with the physician that performed my daughter's liver transplant about Tylenol and alcohol, he was saying that Tylenol can stress the liver when it's taken on a daily basis for a couple weeks at a time, but he also stated that unless a person is taking other medication or drinking it isn't a significant worry. I whole heartedly agree taking Tylenol and drinking isn't a good idea, taking it the next morning is only slightly better, but binge drinking for a night in the first place isn't either! I started using my magic hangover cure when I was a teenager, I seldom drink enough at one time anymore to worry about a hangover, and when/if I do, I would probably substitute the Niquill for Benadryl, but for the sake of fun I listed it as an ingredient in my cocktail above.

I've heard a good push of 1/2 normal is good for a hangover, can anyone confirm this?

Edit:

You know I think Benadryl is processes by the liver as well??

Other than drinking water before bed. One of the few benefits of being in the military is the next day I just hook up to an I.V. Always does the trick.

I'm so sorry to do this, stop reading now if you're a young partyer. Don't start drinking until dark. Don't drink low quality hooch. Eat and drink some food and water along with the beer. Don't puke in your girlfriend's handbag, because she'll be mad in the morning (she is probably mad now, but your drunk, so who cares). As you get older, your body recovers slower and that mean less drinking and more hangover. Most important no marathon drinking, you pass over hangover and you have a detox debt. When you stop drinking is the time you pay that debt.

As a preventive measure I will take immodium before drinking heavily and drink some Gatorade before going to bed and when I wake up. Nine times out of ten, that does the trick...other than that I will eat some bread or toast in the morning and be fine the rest of the day.

Unholy quantities of processed pork products.

I don't know if you guys get proper pork pies in the states but those babies work wonders.

Bacon and pepperami (do you get those?) are good too.

The 3 s's (****, shower and shag - in that order preferably!!) do a pretty good job. And aspirin.

Okay first thing... All you guys that say drinking large quantities of water or Gatorade before going to bed does the trick probably had nothing to worry about in the first place. If on the other hand you don't remember how you got home or leaving where you were drinking for that matter you probably won't remember gatorade before bed. Just saying...

What is it about greasy food? Draws me like a fly to stink, but after I eat it I feel terrible. Again maybe my heavy night of drinking is different that yours.

I try to work on my hangover before drinking. TRY being the key word here. Eat! drinking on an empty stomach is bad JuJu. Unless of course you are drinking strictly for effect and only have a couple beers to do it. Be hydrated! If it's a planned night of drinking go into it fully hydrated and don't forget that B complex vitamin. As I get older I find I'm more prone to two day hangovers. These suck, so I really try to be smart about it, but of course I'm only 50% successful. Cheers!

I have tried everything and the only thing that works is a good hurl which seems to come all by its self. And then a huge greasy breakfast followed by a little bit of hair of the dog that bit me

"Beer before liquor: never been sicker;
Liquor, then beer: you're in the clear."

As if.

Anyway, to answer the OP: Either Fierce Melon or Tropical Mango Gatorade and 3 or 4 tacos from Taco Bell. A stack of pancakes and a tall glass of sweet tea also works.

I find a couple glasses of water and a multivitamin at night, or same in the morning followed by a nap. Food usually helps, but I am unable to eat for at least an hour upon waking up so usually feel too crappy to eat. Ginger ale to settle the stomach helps too.

I will also comment on the above mentions about Tylenol. That is the easiest OTC drug to overdose on. I do not let the stuff in my house.

The problem with "drink lots of water before bed" is that now I'm drunk, asleep, and have a full bladder. Bad things have happened, and I don't realize it until morning :(

Try to drink as much water as yoy can right before you go to sleep. This helos tremendously.

Back