I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am sure most folks who have not served appreciate the service served by our military. But I think there is a special kinship among those who have served and a hurt when those in service are maimed or hurt.

I am filled with pride whenever I see these bands or the vets walking by in parades. And oddly enough I have no animosity to vets of other countries that have served their country against the US. I think the kinship crosses all biases and nationalities at least they do for me.

I was reading some of the comments in the videos you posted Dan and it was truly heart wrenching to me to hear the pain in some of the posts from people who have lost loved ones. When I enlisted my dad told me that whenever the cross I was bearing started to feel heavy to remember the the cross that people who lost love ones have to bear and that mine would be lighter.

Sucks now that I see all the kids going off and having to bear the heavy load. I hope your son stays safe

I agree with you Varmintman, as you can see, I´m not american and I was never in the forces of any country, but I must say that I do admire and respect the people american, spanish or chinese that serves their country and are willing to give their lives for a higher cause... in this days of darkness were values like honor, bravery and love for your country and your fellow country-man are almost nonexistant, the presence of such values remains and lives in the heart of many many military.
I salute you all.
Sorry if what i just wrote don´t make any sense.

Great post Varmintman and thank you for your service. I suppose there is a kinship among all military. My mind and heart are filled with many memories of the men and women I served with.

I was on an army base in Iraq most recently. Two soldiers were killed in a rocket attack. Me as well as most of the Navy there went to the memorial ceremony. Didn't know the guy but we were brothers. First time I ever saluted inside and without a cover. Not the Navy norm. But when they played Taps you better believe I was standing tall and saluting my fallen brother.

Yup time to lighten up I think. To many memories floating around in my golf ball sized head. I am thinking I am going to take a sleeping pill tonight and dream of eating possum because I know Bobbi is going to score tonight.

And any farm boy who has served has wondered about this hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that song City-man!

V-man. Your video reminded me of the tractor pulls and the home town fair. It was back in the eighties. Swear to God a bunch of old boys spent 3/4 of the year getting ready for these things. Garden tractors on steroids is what it was and it was awesome. Ear shattering as well. Just raw power out of somebody's little lawn mower tractor.

I guess it's come a long way since then. But swear some of those tractors had racing engines in them.

Sitting here trying to figure out what that noise is and it's that foamy batch of beer I made yesterday morning. Blew the airlock and beer spewing everywhere. And here I was worried the yeast was old and no good!

BobbiLynn said:
Sitting here trying to figure out what that noise is and it's that foamy batch of beer I made yesterday morning. Blew the airlock and beer spewing everywhere. And here I was worried the yeast was old and no good!

I needed a smile.

I kind of get the feeling that we're all a little odd here. The outlier points. We get eliminated from graphs and charts and stuff, so as not to corrupt the data.

It's the outliers that define the bell curve. That's what I keep telling myself, anyway.

Love that song City-man!

V-man. Your video reminded me of the tractor pulls and the home town fair. It was back in the eighties. Swear to God a bunch of old boys spent 3/4 of the year getting ready for these things. Garden tractors on steroids is what it was and it was awesome. Ear shattering as well. Just raw power out of somebody's little lawn mower tractor.

I guess it's come a long way since then. But swear some of those tractors had racing engines in them.

Back when I was a kid was before all the crazy tractor pull nonsense of today. Just the plain old everyday farm tractors right out of the field. Maybe weight them up a bit but that was about it. All in good fun and no prizes other than the bragging rights until next year's County Fair.

Here's a little something from a local boy who made it big. And then walked away.

I don't spit, and my money is on the possum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a little something from a local boy who made it big. And then walked away.

I don't spit, and my money is on the possum.

That song is making me sleepy. Time for coffee. Sun is up and still no possum. I'll have to plan a night to set up surveillance. Sit out in the woods with my binoculars. He must have found another way out.

That song is making me sleepy. Time for coffee. Sun is up and still no possum. I'll have to plan a night to set up surveillance. Sit out in the woods with my binoculars. He must have found another way out.

Oh man that sucks. Did he eat the egg and food that you put outside the trap

Love that song City-man!

And the mud races during that time were great as well. The county fair ran for a week and one night you had the tractor pulls the next night it was mud races and the last night it was a concert.

I remember one year they let guys bring their stock pickups in and pull the sled that they used for the tractor pulls. These guys had big block engines and big fat tires and failed miserably. The person who won was a young gal who had a old no frills ford f-150 with a inline 6 cylinder engine. She kicked butt:ban:

I made coffee too. And bacon and eggs. Butchered a hog and hadn't tried the bacon yet. Fried up a whole pound and didn't hardly render enough enough fat to fry a couple eggs. That is some meaty bacon.

I made coffee too. And bacon and eggs. Butchered a hog and hadn't tried the bacon yet. Fried up a whole pound and didn't hardly render enough enough fat to fry a couple eggs. That is some meaty bacon.

I like to dip biscuits in the fat while I am frying the bacon. Yup I got married and that practice ended:mad:

Oh man that sucks. Did he eat the egg and food that you put outside the trap

The only thing I put outside the trap was the egg and it's still there. I had it placed so that if he saw it and wanted to go toward it and check it out, he'd end up in the trap. So yeah, not sure if he's found another way out or he just hasn't left the comfort of his home. Maybe today I'll unwedge the trap and add more goodies for him, like a bowl of water, canned dog food instead of the dry stuff, and I have some canned salmon and tuna I could offer him. Lay out a nice feast. Catching possums is a lot of work.

The only thing I put outside the trap was the egg and it's still there. I had it placed so that if he saw it and wanted to go toward it and check it out, he'd end up in the trap. So yeah, not sure if he's found another way out or he just hasn't left the comfort of his home. Maybe today I'll unwedge the trap and add more goodies for him, like a bowl of water, canned dog food instead of the dry stuff, and I have some canned salmon and tuna I could offer him. Lay out a nice feast. Catching possums is a lot of work.

And frustrating as well. I would think that there would not be a water supply under the house and that he would have to come out at some point.

Like you said though maybe he found another exit

As I get older, this might seem backwards. I'm thinking I'd like to start a commune, hippy commune if you'd like. I'd like to start this place on the outskirts of HomeBrewTown so will need to check with Passedpawn and the city council. If they give me permission (I know, that doesn't sound very hippy-ish.) If they do here is my quick plan.

Baths will be taken at least once a day. Ideally, they will be communal which could be a lot of fun.
There will be a strict physical fitness program each day. It will include but not limited to dancing, laughing and working our crops in the field.
I'm going to invite a few organic growers to this place to teach us all how to. We will eat the food we make. Not going to be buying much from the store if possible but that isn't a law. Let's see, we can grow our own veggies, make our own bread, brew our own beer, make our own cheese and sausages. I'd like to do this all organically and with all the spent grain we'll have from making beer there will be plenty of nutritious compost available.

It's just an idea but, hmm.. maybe.

So Dan,where are you planning on building this place? I would suggest somewhere with definite seasons, where it is cold part of the year. Keeps the slackers out. And also requires wood splitting, which will fit in nice with your fitness regimen. Naturally fertile soils, adequate rainfall so no irrigation needed. If you want to make cheese and sausage that will require cows and pigs. Might as well have some chickens too. Which will all require pasture and grain. Barley isn't as good a feed as corn, but if you stuck to one crop it would keep equipment costs down. The barley could be malted as well as fed to the livestock. Any spent grain would be more valuable as feed for the livestock than compost.

All in all it sounds like a pretty good plan, but we need more details. Except for the bath every day part, not sure I'm down with that....

I like to dip biscuits in the fat while I am frying the bacon. Yup I got married and that practice ended:mad:

Everything is better with bacon fat! I used to make a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. Fry up the bacon, put it in the sandwich with the cheese and use the bacon fat instead of butter to grill the sandwich. Probably two days worth of calories in one sandwich but I don't stress over stuff like that. The stress will kill you quicker than the fat.

Everything is better with bacon fat! I used to make a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich. Fry up the bacon, put it in the sandwich with the cheese and use the bacon fat instead of butter to grill the sandwich. Probably two days worth of calories in one sandwich but I don't stress over stuff like that. The stress will kill you quicker than the fat.

I had to look over my shoulder and make sure my wife could not see that I liked your post.

So Dan,where are you planning on building this place?

Donkeys or mules to pull the plow and help in the fields would be good too. I know how to make biodiesel too, for a diesel tractor or something. Windmills and solar panels, don't forget those.

I googled how to catch a possum and found this handy tip, this is in addition to the food at the back of the trap. A trail of food for him, from the front of the trap to the back of the trap. Of course!!
Set the bait at the entry area of the trap to lure in the possum.

Donkeys or mules to pull the plow and help in the fields would be good too. I know how to make biodiesel too, for a diesel tractor or something. Windmills and solar panels, don't forget those.

I googled how to catch a possum and found this handy tip, this is in addition to the food at the back of the trap. A trail of food for him, from the front of the trap to the back of the trap. Of course!!

You know the bit that is going to suck is those of us living vicariously through you are going to have to wait until tomorrow now to get our next installment

Bacon fat!! Love it too. Take something perfectly healthy like mustard greens and cook it in bacon fat!! Even my dog loves the mustard greens, gave him some for dinner last night and he begged for more. I bet the possum would love them too!!

Oh heck now I am going to have to go and cook some grub. I am thinking bacon or sausage and hashbrowns with a couple eggs sunny side up. Just talking about the food is driving me nuts

And you know Bobbi I do not really like greens but that sounds pretty good.

Cabbage fried in bacon fat would be good as well

Anyone who doesn't have a small container of bacon grease in the frige is missing out on life. I especially like it in blackeyed peas, spinach, and for frying eggs.

I don't know if I could be married to someone who doesn't understand the seductive power of bacon fat.

And I asserted my manhood. I waited till she was outside smoking and dipped a biscuit in the bacon fat.

Now some one post fast so she does not see this post:eek:

ForumRunner_20130110_163945.jpg

ForumRunner_20130110_163945.jpg

Donkeys wouldn't be big enough. And I don't know about the mules(or horses). Too much work to get the work done slowly. They eat 24/7 working or not. I could see biodiesel though. We could use the glycerine to make soap for our weekly bath.
Windmills could drive old automobile alternators. The electricity could be stored in banks of batteries. (Anyone know of a source for old WWII submarine batteries?) Excess electricity could be used for electrolysis to make hydrogen for cooking, brewing beer and heating water for our weekly bath.

I think I need to get some sleep, I've been up all night. Working third shift six days a week it doesn't hardly pay to mess with your sleep schedule for only one day.

Sucking a pint of my Citra Amber down (second of the morning, busy night) and heading off to bed. See y'all tonight.

Latest posts

Back