American IPA My 2-time gold winning American IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm giving this recipe a try with a few modifications - different yeast, using Nugget Hops and using a water profile I created. I cannot wait to give it a try.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 14.03 gal
Post Boil Volume: 11.18 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 10.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 10.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 66.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 90.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 96.8 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20.00 gal IPA Water Profile Water 1 -
7.25 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
3.75 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins Water Agent 3 -
3.44 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 4 -
0.76 g Salt (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 5 -
17 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 80.7 %
1 lbs 7.7 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 7 7.0 %
1 lbs 1.8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8 5.3 %
1 lbs 1.8 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 9 5.3 %
5.9 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 10 1.8 %
2.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 11 20.1 IBUs
1.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 12 25.9 IBUs
2.75 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 13 12.9 IBUs
0.90 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 14 4.2 IBUs
1.80 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 15 3.4 IBUs
3.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) Yeast 16 -
4.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 14.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 21 lbs 1.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 6.80 gal of water and heat to 154.0 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 0.00 gal of water and heat to 168.0 168.0 F 20 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 9.97 gal water at 168.0 F
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made this in BIAB style and it came out awesome. it's going in the keeper file! Thank you for posting.

Just brewed this up for a friends baby shower in a couple months. I've been getting g really good efficiency and ended up with a 1.070 OG and aimed for 66 IBUs. Hit most of my temps within a degree or so, so now we just play the waiting game. Can't wait to try it.

Has anyone tried mixing up all the hops on this and then adding them at the 30,15,5 marks?

Drinking my second batch of this recipe now. Very tasty. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this up last month - I had a stuck mash-tun when mashing/sparging, but it wasn't too big of a deal. Followed the recipe precisely, and added about .5G of water due to too much boil off.

Left in primary for one week, moved to secondary (and dry hopped) for 2 weeks, and kegged in about 5 days ago.

The taste is very good - smooth hoppy, very drinkable, very tasty. Definitely a keeper.

Still feeling my way with all grain. I like this recipe, but we are not yet kegging and so force carbing is not in our wheelhouse yet.
Any reason why this recipe wont' work just as well if we do the usual, priming sugar in solution and then bottle?

Thanks as always.

Still feeling my way with all grain. I like this recipe, but we are not yet kegging and so force carbing is not in our wheelhouse yet.
Any reason why this recipe wont' work just as well if we do the usual, priming sugar in solution and then bottle?

Thanks as always.

Don’t give it a second thought…. Bottle it. I have this recipe in the primary, and will definitely go to the bottle. Easier to share, give away to friends, and ship to fellow brewers and family.
Cheers!

I brewed this last week and tried my first sip after testing gravity. Flat, warm and still unfinished this beer is without a doubt going to be the best one I have made so far. It is recipe #12 for me and my fifth all grain batch (biab). WOW! I opened up the bucket to check it out and was shocked that the krausen had dropped and the beer was clear (I've got a two-week old right next to it that hasn't dropped yet). Already at 1.010 gravity after only a week, and I have to concur that the bitterness is right where it should be. Got a very happy feeling about this batch.

Thanks for a great recipe.

A friend and I made this recipe last month (all-grain) and just cracked opened some bottles this week. Overall a very good beer and one I will make again. I really liked how it finished with a slight grain flavor. What grain is causing that flavor? I have tried two IPA's before and they had that same finishing grain flavor and I love it. Please help me out if you can. Thanks.

Jaman said:
A friend and I made this recipe last month (all-grain) and just cracked opened some bottles this week. Overall a very good beer and one I will make again. I really liked how it finished with a slight grain flavor. What grain is causing that flavor? I have tried two IPA's before and they had that same finishing grain flavor and I love it. Please help me out if you can. Thanks.

I guess you could be tasting the Munich malt. Could be the earthiness of the Willamettes in the background? That's my favorite part of this beer.

Has anyone ever used WLP026 on this or any American IPA? I'm thinking about using the yeast cake from my last batch for this recipe. Style charts on the white labs site give it the high rating for the style.

I brewed this beer about a month ago and enjoying the first pint right now.

I'll be brewing this again soon - thanks for the recipe!

:mug:

Made a batch with a friend for his baby shower. We killed the keg and everyone loved it. We brewed it two months before the party so I think we should have pushed the dry hop time back a couple weeks but besides that it was nice and floral and citrusy but not overly bitter. I'd make this again for sure, nice job on the recipe. Might steal your idea of skipping the initial bittering addition.

Brewed this as my first all grain beer. Hit the gravity pretty closely and it was definitely a learning experience. With all the hops that was added I expected it to be a little hoppier. Im very happy with how it came out, the keg is about half gone already. Ill be making this recipe again.

I brewed this BIAB and it came out perfect. I am 1/2 way through the batch and it's the best beer I've ever brewed. It's really close to perfect and as far as APA I'm not even going to look for another to brew for a while. Great hop flavor without being too bitter or bomb-like. Big flavor in balance.

Brewed this one today from the original recipe. Used 1056 yeast. Gravity came in a little lower @ 1.056 but from the comments i should probably expect good things in the end.

Got a jonesin' for it so we're doing it again. May try to tweak it a bit but honestly this beer is close to ideal for this type of style. The last beer was a little less hop-forward than the first, but the head retention was great and I was very very happy how it came out. Hopefully I'll get the same results.

has anybody tried cutting down the secondary to one week when planning to bottle rather than keg?

Going to brew this tomorrow and I just can't wait. I'm sure this is going to be one of my best brews to date.

So my question is how long are you dry hopping this beer? Is it for the whole two weeks that its in the secondary? Or a week.

that's my question to Matt. I usually dry hop for a week to ten days to avoid extra grassy notes. but I'd rather defer to Matt as it's his recipe. haven't heard from him on this yet....

I wont even be that picky lol. Who evers made this with good results how long did you dry hop this beer.

Great thanks this is actually boiling right now as I type this. Ill let you know how it turns out

Just picked up the ingredients for this one...$42. Haven't read a bad thing about it.
Anyone see a problem with using S-04??

I sprinkled in two packs of US-05. a bit of overkill perhaps but I've been struggling with stalled fermentations (probably because I'm too invest in a decent aeration system) and wanted to make sure I got full attenuation. about to transfer to secondary. I'll keep ya posted on my FG.

parrotpoet said:
I sprinkled in two packs of US-05. a bit of overkill perhaps but I've been struggling with stalled fermentations (probably because I'm too invest in a decent aeration system) and wanted to make sure I got full attenuation. about to transfer to secondary. I'll keep ya posted on my FG.

Try raising your fermentation temp to room temp AS SOON as your krausen begins to drop. Usually this is at the 3 day mark. Then make sure you leave it in primary 3 weeks. I think you will be pleased with the results.

WhiteEagle1 said:
Just picked up the ingredients for this one...$42. Haven't read a bad thing about it.
Anyone see a problem with using S-04??

no problem with 04, just not my first choice. it will be a slightly different beer but not bad. as far as dry yeast goes it would be my second choice.

I made an extract recipe for this, just brewed last night, its my 2nd brew:

steeping grains:
1 lb Crystal 20
1 lb Munich Light 10L

extracts:
3.15 lb Gold LME (from NB--contains some carapils)
6 lb Gold LME--added at end of boil
4 oz pilsen DME

hops:
1 oz Chinook 30 min
1.5 oz Cascade 30 min
1 oz Williamette 15 min
1.5 oz Cascade 15 min
1 oz Williamette 5 min
2 oz Cascade dry hop in secondary

I also put in a teaspoon of Irish moss at 15 min. I left out the carapils since the Gold LME has some in it, and I left out the torrified wheat, since it has to be mashed, hopefully its not super important. Used US-05 and its bubbling away nicely. Adding the 6 lbs LME at the end of the boil should help with hops utilization since I only have a 3 gal boil.

Just took a sample of this beer after four days of pitching. I used a second generation of washed us-05 and its almost done fermenting already.

This beer is amazing and I wish it would hurry up cause I need this in my life right now!!! I know a little dramatic but it's really good and I expect this to be my best brew to date. Thanks for the recipe.

Try raising your fermentation temp to room temp AS SOON as your krausen begins to drop. Usually this is at the 3 day mark. Then make sure you leave it in primary 3 weeks. I think you will be pleased with the results.

Thanks! good advice. I'm becoming more of a believer in just letting the beer sit in primary undisturbed for at least two weeks to really let the yeast finish the job and clean up. Planning to let this IPA sit for two weeks then drop in my 1oz of cascade to dry hop in primary for another week. then bottle. Mmmm....

Latest posts

Back