Integrating PID into brewstand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Ever since I discovered the Brutus 10, I'm fascinated by the prospect of getting automatic temp control built into my brewstand. It seems that with enough patience, you could grab the PID controllers, thermocouples, and ASCO gas valves to full automate the burners on the HLT and MLT.

First, anyone have a write up on their implimentation of this? Any good PID primers out there (for dummies). I had some industrial controls training 10 years ago but we never got into PID. I see talk of LOVE controllers, is this just a brand name for PID?

Here's a nice PID control page for HLT control.

It seems to be much easier to implement PID control with an electric heating element than a gas burner, and probably cheaper, too, since you'll probably need an combustable-gas grade electric solenoid valve and potentially an auto igniter (or pilot light system).

I'm not doing AG brewing yet (gotta wait until i move to a house with room for a rig) but I plan on going the and electric heating PID system for the HLT. I have a lot of first-hand experience with these controllers and i see them for cheap on ebay occasionally. Most even have a great "auto-tune" feature for the PID control.

I see a lot of water heaters at the local dump so I can probably salvage at least two working gas valves from them. The cool thing is, they already have a fail safe pilot system in place so I would feel relatively safe walking away from the system for short periods.

Im using the Love controllers but instead of gas I went with electricity. I felt a little safer having electric elements turn on when I was not home over gas. I can set it to turn on at 4:00 Friday evening and I can knock out a brew when I get home from work.

DSCN3112.jpg

DSCN3113.jpg

DSCN3025.jpg

Note to Monster Mash.
Next upgrade suggestion:
1) Stencil "Former Pool Filter" on all equipment.
OR
2) Add "Ask me about my Kettles" link to sig.
OR
3) Patiently, Tirelessly and Graciously answer this question once again. :)

olllllo said:
Note to Monster Mash.
Next upgrade suggestion:
1) Stencil "Former Pool Filter" on all equipment.
OR
2) Add "Ask me about my Kettles" link to sig.
OR
3) Patiently, Tirelessly and Graciously answer this question once again. :)

Hahahahahaha!!! :D

Monster Mash said:
Being in Cali I keep forgetting some people have never seen a pool filter before...:)

From yesterday's AZ Republic:

The Phoenix area has about 300,000 swimming pools. About 20,000 new ones are built each year.

About a third of homes in the Phoenix area have pools, and about a fifth of Tucson homes have pools, according to the University of Arizona.

I know what you are saying.

Monster Mash said:
Being in Cali I keep forgetting some people have never seen a pool filter before...:)

Being from Iowa I keep forgetting some have never seen cow pies before, but that doesnt stop people from asking how far some one could chuck one ;)

None the less i will now investigate!

Here's a great little controller for a real nice price.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Watlow-Model-965...ryZ87086QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

The Watlow controllers are great (and there are other models I see on eBay that look good). Use RTD or TC. I used mine to control a 1500 watt element in a boiler (via an SSR). It has lots of heating cooling control options and also has an autotune feature as I recall. I never tried that, but it might be good for those unfamiliar with pid terminology.

I think you are better off automating heating via steam or electric.

Can you use that bad boy for heating or cooling? If so, I might just snag one...

Back