WTF are these bubbles!? Pics included

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unibrow

Reaction score
This was a BB Summer Ale extract kit.

I racked 3/4 gallon of watermelon juice in the primary carboy after 7 days of fermentation. I sanitized my knives, cutting board, outside of the watermelons, etc...I even sprayed some diluted star san in the WM juice before racking to the carboy. Second round of fermentation kicked in fast and furious. Everything was going fine, then 10 days later I see these weird bubbles. WTF is going on? I pulled a SG sample (it's 1.010 now after 2.5 weeks in primary) and tastes fine, possibly a little sour but that might be my imagination from the bubbles.

Anybody seen this before? Should I bottle quickly or see what happens?

P1020452.jpg

P1020451.jpg

may or may not be early lacto.. honestly, don't get too worried, and dump it. Let it ride and see how it goes.

Yeah, looks like an unintended infection. Either way you added watermelon to it, so i bet a little sourness wouldnt hurt!

I follow sound sanitation practices, but I'm really looking forward to my first infection just to experience it (only 6 batches in). It's definitely not the end of your beer! :fro:

First, spraying diluted star san into the juice will not do anything. Second, I don't think those bubbles look irregular. How long has the gravity been at 1.010? If the gravity is stable, you are fine.

Did the temp change recently? I've gotten those bubbles before and had no issue with the batch. I assumed it was just co2 coming out of solution

I have had bubbles like that and after a few more weeks of conditioning they went away and the beer was great.... 1 time they got worse and bigger... give it a few weeks and if there is a infection you will know it.

Looks like an unintentional infection to me. If it is, I'd let that bad boy sit in carboy for a while. Let the bugs take hold and finish as much as they're able. Then prime and bottle and keg.

I still am not convinced this is an infection... if it gets worse then yes. More bubbles, bigger clumps of bubbles, and weird off taste then yes it is an infection. Let it sit... swirl the carboy and rouse the yeast and see if the potential post krausen will fall...

Thank you ALL for your replies.

The watermelon juice was gathered by filing a 5 gallon paint strainer with massive amount of watermelon chunks, and then smashing the watermelon through the strainer to keep the seeds out. Everything was sanitized while getting the watermelon into the bag, and then strained through.

Yes, the sample tasted fine and the SG went from 1.012 to 1.010 in the last few days. I plan on bottling this weekend. I don't mind a little bit of sour taste, but I don't want to exacerbate an infection, if that's what it is.

I was planning to bottle this weekend - it will be almost 3 weeks in primary. People think I should wait and see what happen with the bubbles? Again, thanks for all the replies.

Personally, I wouldn't bottle until I know the gravity readings are stable. Your hydrometer readings are still dropping. Bottling won't stop the fermentation process but it may cause bottle bombs.

I did drop from 1.012 to 1.010 over the last few days...I'll check again this weekend

How much should more should it drop? If I get to 1.005 or below, doesn't that mean there's a problem with infection? Thanks for your answers!

I did drop from 1.012 to 1.010 over the last few days...I'll check again this weekend

How much should more should it drop? If I get to 1.005 or below, doesn't that mean there's a problem with infection? Thanks for your answers!

How much or how low is a question of what's eating your sugars. It may still be sacc, but it may be something else. It's going to do what it's going to do. It may stabilize @ 1010 or it may drop further.

Remember one man's infection is another's inoculation. I remember my first unintentionally soured beer. I was all freaked out. As it turned out, it was a fantastic beer. Tonight, I pitched lactobacillius on a perfectly good belgian blonde. ;)

Your beer is a light summer ale. Even if another bug has taken hold I'd bet it would be tasty. Not quite what you'd anticipated, but good none the less.

:mug:

Thanks Hugh - excellent Simpsons reference btw, and fellow Ohioan no less

I really appreciate the info here. I was never worried about dumping the batch, but I just didn't know if a quick bottling was preferred here, or if I have a possible lambic thing going on here.

Thanks Hugh - excellent Simpsons reference btw, and fellow Ohioan no less

I really appreciate the info here. I was never worried about dumping the batch, but I just didn't know if a quick bottling was preferred here, or if I have a possible lambic thing going on here.

Yeah, just let it ride. You never want to bottle while fermentation is taking place or you risk bottle bombs. When its gravity is stable, give it a taste then bottle. :mug:

Ive been getting something similar.Is it hazy and cloudy on top, then form a white film?Like a skin? I havnt got the bubbles but ive used s-33 and t-58 yeast and happended to only get it from those.I started to get the cloudyness on my s-23 common but not my lager.All those beers turned out good despite the confusion.

I used US-05 and there is a thin white film - but it's not cloudy or hazy. I've seen some pics people post that look like ghosts are weaving spiderwebs of cloudiness. Not the case with my thing right now.

My issue is just these damn bubbles - they're not huge or scary looking. But they're not going away and they seem durable.

Take cut up watermelon and let it sit on your plate. when it dries there will be a film on your plate. Essentially that is what has floated to the top of your carboy. I personally do NOT think that is an infection.

Back