Botteling - where to put the sanitized bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jowens

Reaction score
This is a noob question:
Any advice for what to do with the bottles after they are washed, sanitized and waiting to be filled? I am going to be bottling tonight, and I am looking around my kitchen, and I don't think I can handle 60 bottles. I certainly can't store them all upside down so that all the sanitizing solution drains out without them tipping over, and my dish drainer is only so big .... It can't be good for the remaining yeast to come into contact with leftover sanitizing solution...

Any advice for a first time bottler would be appreciated.

I use a baby/dog gate over the bath tub, flip the bottles upside down in that.

You can also use your dish washer, a bottle tree, or a box with some paper towels in the bottom.

If you are in a pinch you could always sanitize as many as you can fit on the dish drainer, fill, repeat.

Before I got a bottle tree I used to stack them all in a big rubbermaid type storage box.
After I got a bottle tree I like bottling better.

You could put them in the dish washer and run it on the hottest setting without any soap. This will help sanitize them plus it's a great place to store your bottles until they are filled.

Chill and just bottle them. For the length of time they are going to be sitting uncapped I would not worry. ...you could always place caps on top of the bottles or something but I would not bother.

Haggis, owner of
"Dirty Dirty Brewery." (I may keep this name!)

i got a piece of plywood and cut a bunch of holes in it. this way i could hang bottles upside down to dry and don't have to stick anything in them like on a bottle tree. i did it in an oval pattern to allow grolsch botles to be put in easily but withoug risking making the wholes too big that small bottles could fall through.

Well, first batch is bottled and in the basement. 54 bottles. Looks like final gravity was 1.0158 - I'm calling it a session beer. Wasn't what I was shooting for, but it doesn't taste to bad, so I'm hoping a few weeks will make it good. I used a rubber maid storage box to hold the empties. Thanks for your advice and help.

jowens said:
Well, first batch is bottled and in the basement. 54 bottles. Looks like final gravity was 1.0158 - I'm calling it a session beer. Wasn't what I was shooting for, but it doesn't taste to bad, so I'm hoping a few weeks will make it good. I used a rubber maid storage box to hold the empties. Thanks for your advice and help.

What kind of hydrometer (or eyesight) do you have that you can read gravity to 4 decimal places?

Tsk tsk, don't you remember significant digits from way back in HS? Lol jk.

Back