erlenmeyer flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
My erlenmeyer flask cracked today when I had it on the stove trying to boil some wort for a starter.

It hadn't come to a boil yet when I hear a crack. Nothing spilled but the crack is 7 inches long.

I was under the impression it was ok to put it on direct fire what do you think I did wrong here?

This happen to anyone?

Maybe I bought a cheep one?

I was also under the impression that this was safe to do with a gas stove, but not on an electric unless you use some sort of heat diffuser. By using the word "fire", I'm assuming you heated this on a gas burner?

They are heat-resistant but NOT heat-proof.

You should always start off with the flame as low as possible and *slowly* increase it... I usually stop when I get to about the halfway point on my stove.

What's the point in spending 20 bucks on a flask if your going to boil water then pour it in. Might as well get a 3 dollar clear half jug.

I seriously thought the idea of the flask was to have the simplicity of throwing the wort and water into the flask boil and viola!

Daver77 said:
I seriously thought the idea of the flask was to have the simplicity of throwing the wort and water into the flask boil and viola!

It is. Pouring into a sanitized flask is silly.

Why risk boiling it in the flask? Could you not just boil in a pot and pour it into a sanitized flask?

Because that is far LESS sterile. Heat is a much more effective sanitizer than our chemicals. If you don't boil in the flask then you have to sanitize the flask separately, as well as a funnel if your pot doesn't have a spout!

Why risk boiling it in the flask? Could you not just boil in a pot and pour it into a sanitized flask?

I boil the water in the flask first (1.7L) then transfer to pot with DME...boil in pot 10 mins, then transfer back to 2L flask to chill..I have had too many boilovers in the flask. If I had a 3L flask, I would do everything in the flask.

kappclark said:
I boil the water in the flask first (1.7L) then transfer to pot with DME...boil in pot 10 mins, then transfer back to 2L flask to chill..I have had too many boilovers in the flask. If I had a 3L flask, I would do everything in the flask.

Fermcap, buddy. Look into it.

Boil in a pot first and pour it into a sanitized flask later if you like. Or boil in the flask. Either method will work.

Seven said:
Boil in a pot first and pour it into a sanitized flask later if you like. Or boil in the flask. Either method will work.

As pointed out already, spending the cash for an E-Flask if you don't intend to boil in it is silly. You can get a much cheaper starter vessel that doesn't need to be able to withstand a direct flame.

And that's really why E-flasks are the only way I will do it. As effective as Star San is, it still doesn't hold a candle to the effectiveness and utter foolproof-ness of 212°+ of wet heat. Boil the starter wort (water + DME), yeast nutrient, some fermcap, and even the stir bar all together - just make sure to add the stir bar before you start boiling, as that Teflon causes it to become an instant volcano. If you can fit the flask into a pressure cooker and "autoclave" the entire thing, even better... even boiling will leave about 0.00001% of microorganisms alive, which may not seem like much, but when you consider the purpose of starters, they don't really discriminate between the desired yeast strain and everything else.

Heck, I even leave my foam stopper in for the latter part of the boil to both sanitize the stopper AND to create a closed environment to ensure it remains sanitary while it cools. I've seen people here dismiss the foam stopper, despite even the actual experts (eg Chris White) touting it as the best solution for keeping the flask sanitary (as opposed to foil and ESPECIALLY airlocks), since they claim that the foam stopper is still too restrictive to allow gas exchange with the CO2 generation creating positive pressure, but nothing's convinced me of just how wrong those people are more than boiling wort with the stopper plugging the flask, and watching steam pass RIGHT through, as if there's nothing even there, with none of the "building up" you'd expect if gas exchange were in any way impeded.

I have two E-flasks - a 2L and a 5L - and I got them both from MoreBeer. So while they're decent, they're hardly the best of the best. And yet I'm constantly boiling with them without any problems. The main thing, as I mentioned, is to *start as low as possible* and gradually increase the flame, in order to reduce the thermal shock. I do this more for safety reasons than economical ones though - since I'm boiling on a stovetop, I'm more concerned with liters of boiling or near-boiling wort spilling out than having to buy a new flask, but in a way it's actually even *more* important if you brew outdoors and spilled wort isn't much of a concern, because outdoor burners typically put out *way* more heat (often more than an order of magnitude), and so the chances of breaking a flask are much higher.

And since safety is really my main concern, I don't really have a problem being a bit more carefree while cooling - the flask comes off the flame, and directly into a 32°F icebath in my sink. If it somehow cracks and spills, it's both contained and immediately cooled down. However, ALL the stories I've heard here of cracked flasks have been while heating - not a SINGLE ONE while chilling - so I strongly suspect that they are more capable of withstanding contraction than expansion.

But now that your flask is already cracked it's been compromised, and so I strongly urge you to stop subjecting it to thermal shock, especially where safety might be an issue.

You can relegate it to some other function which doesn't require heating, but you're really best of getting a new one, and just applying heat to it more gently in the future. It's really not worth risking serious burns just to save a few bucks.

yeah i tossed it already.

I wonder if I should get a smaller one? Never found myself using the whole 2ls

Daver77 said:
yeah i tossed it already.

I wonder if I should get a smaller one? Never found myself using the whole 2ls

If you never found yourself using *at least 1.5L*, you really aren't making big enough starters for at least some of your beers. But typically, the next size down will be 1L, and that means your starters will all be UNDER 1L.

Honestly, it's too small, especially if you don't already have a larger flask.

As pointed out already, spending the cash for an E-Flask if you don't intend to boil in it is silly. You can get a much cheaper starter vessel that doesn't need to be able to withstand a direct flame.

Boiling in a separate pot and transferring to a flask later isn't silly at all. It's not recommended to boil in a flask if you have an electric stove but a flask is usually recommended/required when using a stir plate because flasks have flat bottoms and growlers or other containers usually don't... curved bottoms lead to thrown stir bars in most cases. That is why some people boil in a pot then transfer to a flask later.

Seven said:
Boiling in a separate pot and transferring to a flask later isn't silly at all. It's not recommended to boil in a flask if you have an electric stove but a flask is usually recommended/required when using a stir plate because flasks have flat bottoms and growlers or other containers usually don't... curved bottoms lead to thrown stir bars in most cases. That is why some people boil in a pot then transfer to a flask later.

There are plenty of flat-bottomed vessels that can be had for a fraction of the price of an E-flask. My 1gal jugs, for instance (which I understand are pretty much like Carlo Rossi wine jugs), have a bottom just as flat as my E-flask. And they cost me about $5 a piece - do you have any idea how much an equivalently sized E-flask?

And even if for some reason you actually *are* limited to vessels without a flat-enough bottom, that can STILL be remedied for a heck of a lot cheaper, by buying a dumbbell-style stir-bar.

It is. Pouring into a sanitized flask is silly.

I don't have a flask yet, but do me a favor and forcibly insert yours into your anus. With how anal you are about your procedure, I wouldn't be surprised if you've already done so. Mwahaha! :p

I agree with you on both of your posts. Currently, I boil the wort and pour it into a sanitized quart-size, decanter-shaped juice jar; but, I'll eventually get a flask because I am interested in trying to boil in it.

For those like me with an electric stove, it may be a good idea to put a wire trivet (coat hanger) or gas burner grate between the flask and the burner. However, I have heard of people putting them directly on the burner with no problems. :confused:

When I do get a flask, I'll probably try boiling in it on my backpacking stove. It should work just fine, dontcha think?

The jar I use has a slightly curved bottom. My stir bar stays perfectly centered. It could be that I'm just lucky, or it could be because of my industrial-quality stir plate.

An erlenmeyer flask describes the shape of the flask, not the material it is made of. The lab grade flasks made of pyrex or some other equivalent can be directly heated (flame or elec) without risk of breaking. The flask could have also been compromised prior to heating as well during routine usage and cleaning.

Glass is strange stuff, and can sometimes just...break. I'd just order another flask and move on.

I did an experiment last night, using a double-boiler set-up with a flask. It worked well enough, but it wasn't particularly fast.

Here's my write-up:

Double-boiler erlenmeyer flask experiment

M_C

pretty interesting

I got this from the more beer website

Recommended Process for Use of Flask:
Double Boiler Method

It is important for your safety to heat water in the flask with a heat source that distributes heat evenly. Our manufacturer has confirmed that direct heat to the glass can break down its integrity and break if the heat source doesn't distribute evenly.

Morebeer! recommends using the "double boiler method." This process involves using a boiling water bath on the outside of the flask to heat up the water inside the flask. All you need is a kettle 3 gallons or larger. This process is much safer and efficient. If the flask should break or boil over, your kettle will be there to collect the contents, thus keeping your stove clean and keeping you away from potential harm.

I have never boiled in a flask because I can't figure out how to get the DME in there without spilling it all over the stove. I have enough trouble getting it into a pot without spilling it. how do you guys that boil in the flask add the DME?

I have never boiled in a flask because I can't figure out how to get the DME in there without spilling it all over the stove. I have enough trouble getting it into a pot without spilling it. how do you guys that boil in the flask add the DME?

Put the dme and water, shake it before you boil it.

In my experience, there is a difference between some lab glass. I've cracked more than a few "Kimax" flasks in my day on hot plates like you described, but never a Pyrex. No idea what the difference is (besides price, we were a poor lab), but the cheaper you go, the quicker it's going to break. I'd be careful with anything besides Pyrex.

Put the dme and water, shake it before you boil it.

I don't know why but I always thought you had to add DME to boiling water. I guess I got that from my days of doing extract. I can now save myself a step and not dirty one of swmbo's pots.:)

emjay said:
If you never found yourself using *at least 1.5L*, you really aren't making big enough starters for at least some of your beers. But typically, the next size down will be 1L, and that means your starters will all be UNDER 1L.

Honestly, it's too small, especially if you don't already have a larger flask.

Yea I bought a 1L when I first started brewing but I didn't know any better. Quickly bought a 2L but that still wasn't big enough and had my starters blowing out of that on my stirplate. I then bought a 5L and it works great for everything from small to large starters. Actually pitching the correct amount of yeast is important it makes better beer. I have made good beers that I had under pitched but pitching the correct amount is always better. I would recommend at least a 2L or even bigger because you can always put smaller starters in there.

Another random tip:

I cut the bottom 70% off of a soda bottle (2 L is best, but I have gotten by with a 20 oz bottle) and use that as a funnel to get DME and water into the flask (IN THAT ORDER :D)

I bought a cheap $20 2L flask from Northern Brewer, go from a 14k BTU gas stove right to an ice bath and have had no problems for about 15-20 yeast starters.

I got both a 2L and a 1L I find my self wanting a small one when I'm stepping up starters. I can start a yeast in the small vessel and then move to the bigger one when stepping it up.

20 bucks for the big one and 15 for the small. I got ripped off for the small one IMHO

Back