Get to the scrap yard - NOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewpastor

Beer, not rocket chemistry
Reaction score
I have always had good luck finding stuff for brewing at the local scrap yards. The problem is I never make time to go. But today, on my way to make another call, I stopped by one and walked out with 3 cornies for $1 a pound! It cost me $26 for three cornies. They each had pressure and other then needing a bath are in great shape.

GET IT YOUR LOCAL SCRAP YARD NOW! I just go in and ask if they have any stainless soda cannisters or kegs or whatever it is I am interested in. They had a pile of kegs, some of which had come from the Rio Grande Brewery! Almost always the people are really nice and helpful.

3 kegs for $26.:D

That's a nice deal. There is a scrap yard about 30 minutes from me. I picked up some auto parts there when I was younger, but haven't even thought of checking there. I'm going to have to give them a call

I got a corny from our local scrapper for £5 - no lid but it's in better condition than some of the kegs I'm already using. Keg rescue eh BP? :)

Matt

I did a quick search and found a Stainless Steal right down the road from where I work; I'm swinging by at lunch. Thanks for the reminder BrewPastor. If anyone in the Austin area is looking for anything shoot me a PM and I'll see if this place might have it and we can work out arrangements.
Jeffrey

SaltLick, Iron Works, and Rudy's all fine establishments. Stainless Steals in Austin didn't have any soda kegs but tons and tons of stainless tables, bench, sinks, etc. Maybe EdWort in Austin will find something to put in his new brewshed.

Frothy :- I'm also in the midlands and every scrap metal dealer I have tried so far will not deal with the public and let stuff out of the site! Its scraprelidge!! I was arguing the toss with a "jobsworth" while watching someone cutting all sorts of stainless stuff up to send to the shredder.

A lovely 2.5 metre stainless work table with 2 ss draws just went on ebay for £80s

So, which scrappies do you go to?

Frothy :- I'm also in the midlands and every scrap metal dealer I have tried so far will not deal with the public and let stuff out of the site! Its scraprelidge!! I was arguing the toss with a "jobsworth" while watching someone cutting all sorts of stainless stuff up to send to the shredder.

A lovely 2.5 metre stainless work table with 2 ss draws just went on ebay for £80s

So, which scrappies do you go to?

Frothy hasn't been active here for 2.5 years... I don't know if he'll answer....

I have a friend who made a great mash tun out of an old, deep stainless sink. I do love stainless!

My relative installs disabled chairs for stairs and home elevators. In his boat loft storage area I saw a stainless oblong sports injury tub with just one 1 1/2" return line out the side near the bottom. I bet it weighs 80 to 100 plus pounds and must hold 80 gallons or more. I must keep an eye on this or ask what's its future fate is?
Same person I offered $30 for a 150 Cu/Ft Argon bottle which I now own for my future stout gas mix.

Back