Score! Tow 20lb CO2 Tanks from Craiglist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBQBrew01

Reaction score
I scored two 20# CO2 tanks on Craigslist for $40. I know they need to be retested but thought it would only cost me $15-20 per tank...I was wrong!!

Guy at local welding gas supply said he would charge me $85+ per tank. At this point I'm thinking I'm not the proud owner of two tanks that will cost me more than new to get filled!!!

Then he says: "I can't tell you to go to HomeDepot, *wink*, and get your tanks filled. Really, I'm not allowed to tell you to go to HomeDepot and get your tanks filled" I got the hint and head to the depot with one of my tanks....$24 bucks later I had exchanged my Craigslist tank for a completely filled one...no questions asked!!

Interesting.... Wonder if they will swap my coke owned cylinder without noticing.

$85 per tank is extremely overpriced. I have been in the welding/gas business for 20 years and have never seen someone charge half of that price.

My local HD has a tool rental area and they rent welding gear and do welding gas exchange.

shelly_belly said:
How is it identified? Would not a paint job cover it up? I have a couple of Budweiser tanks I was going to paint once they are emptied.

The owner is stamped on the neck, so no getting around it. Places will fill I up for you if the hydro is still valid, but they cannot test it unless you own it.

Sometimes you can return it to the distributor and get a deposit return.

A little bit of bondo, light sanding, and a 99cent can of spraypaint later and you have yourself an unidentifyable tank.

I have a welding supply shop in my area that exchanges tanks, even if your old tank is out of date.

Durhamite said:
A little bit of bondo, light sanding, and a 99cent can of spraypaint later and you have yourself an unidentifyable tank.

I have a welding supply shop in my area that exchanges tanks, even if your old tank is out of date.

I might try that :p

Durhamite said:

Edit: Double post on this crappy iPhone app.

BBQBrew01 said:
I scored two 20# CO2 tanks on Craigslist for $40. I know they need to be retested but thought it would only cost me $15-20 per tank...I was wrong!!

Guy at local welding gas supply said he would charge me $85+ per tank. At this point I'm thinking I'm not the proud owner of two tanks that will cost me more than new to get filled!!!

Then he says: "I can't tell you to go to HomeDepot, *wink*, and get your tanks filled. Really, I'm not allowed to tell you to go to HomeDepot and get your tanks filled" I got the hint and head to the depot with one of my tanks....$24 bucks later I had exchanged my Craigslist tank for a completely filled one...no questions asked!!

I thought the tanks at home depot were a blend of CO2 and argon... Better double check

*edit* I just called and they quit doing bottle exchanges all together here

My go-to place is Airgas. Under $15 for 20#'s exhcanged. I think expired tanks is an additional $23. Under $40 should get you a brand spanking new full 20# tank, even if the one you bring is expired......

$85 is highway robbery.

rhamilton said:
My go-to place is Airgas. Under $15 for 20#'s exhcanged. I think expired tanks is an additional $23. Under $40 should get you a brand spanking new full 20# tank, even if the one you bring is expired......

$85 is highway robbery.

Airgas prices are extremely regional, depending on competition. They can rob with the worst of them.

$85 is highway robbery.

I can't find a place near me that fills tanks so I swap them at airgas too. The price is reasonable and the last time I went I swapped one of my rusty ****ty tanks for a sweet aluminum one. They don't care if the tank is expired or not when I trade them in and the ones I get back are clean and painted like new.

You can also have your Co2 filled and tested at most fire extinguisher service facilities.

The owner is stamped on the neck, so no getting around it. Places will fill I up for you if the hydro is still valid, but they cannot test it unless you own it.

Sometimes you can return it to the distributor and get a deposit return.

I took the aluminium 20# 'cola' CO2 tank my wife bought at a yardsale to the place that fills my tanks. It was out of date, so hydrotest, new valve, and fill was under 50 bucks. If I remember correctly, it was actually closer to 40. No Bondo, and no problems. 85 dollars is insane.

I thought the tanks at home depot were a blend of CO2 and argon... Better double check

*edit* I just called and they quit doing bottle exchanges all together here

No a blend at my HD...but they do tell you..."not ment for food..blah..blah". I would think unless you get your tanks filled at a Beverage supply company the Fire Extingusher place or welding supply is not ment for food.

Hammy71 said:
I took the aluminium 20# 'cola' CO2 tank my wife bought at a yardsale to the place that fills my tanks. It was out of date, so hydrotest, new valve, and fill was under 50 bucks. If I remember correctly, it was actually closer to 40. No Bondo, and no problems. 85 dollars is insane.

Yeah it might be a state regulation, so YMMV.

Back