Indian Brown Ale, Dogfish Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balto charlie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hey Folks: Anybody have a clone recipe for this? Apparently they use carmelized brown sugar, Liberty and Goldings hops. At least that's what the label says. Thanks for any input. Charlie

This is from Sam Calagione's (DFH founder) book. It's extract, but I'm sure you can convert to AG if you'd like:

10oz British amber malt
10oz Crystal 60L
8oz Chocolate malt
2oz roasted barley
Steep all of this at 150F for 30 minutes

Add 7lb Light DME
8oz Dark Brown sugar

1/2oz Warrior Hops for 60 Minutes
1oz Vanguard Hops at Flameout

Ringwood Ale Yeast/Wyeast 1187

This is of course for a full boil of 6g. Never brewed the recipe but its from DFH themselves. One of my favorite browns too and probably my favorite DFH beer.

EDIT: Not sure why they would put a different recipe in the book than what it is (per the bottle), but its possible its just to protect their trade secret. You could brew the same recipe basically but using the hops you noted (obviously bumped up b/c they are lower AA) and carmelizing the brown sugar, if it makes you feel better. :)

EDIT2: Upon further inspection and thought, the boiling addition probably doesn't make a huge difference, since all you are getting from it is bittering. They could possibly use this in the clone since its cheaper for the HB and you might not notice a difference (its 15%AA compared to Liberty around 5.5%... thus 3x more hops would need to be used to bitter). The Vanguard at the end is a 5.5%AA hop similar to Hallarteau, but you could easily swap this out for an oz. of goldings...

Thanks for the quick reply. Seems like a simple recipe for such a tasty beer. I don't think I'll lose sleep over the carmelization of the brown sugar;) I have some Goldings, no Liberty but can find a repacement.
This site always impresses me with the speed of replies. Thanks again. Charlie
PS I am drinking an Indian Brown right now, cheers:mug:

This is from Sam Calagione's (DFH founder) book. It's extract, but I'm sure you can convert to AG if you'd like:

10oz British amber malt
10oz Crystal 60L
8oz Chocolate malt
2oz roasted barley
Steep all of this at 150F for 30 minutes

Add 7lb Light DME
8oz Dark Brown sugar

1/2oz Warrior Hops for 60 Minutes
1oz Vanguard Hops at Flameout

Ringwood Ale Yeast/Wyeast 1187

This is of course for a full boil of 6g. Never brewed the recipe but its from DFH themselves. One of my favorite browns too and probably my favorite DFH beer.

Can someone please post the AG conversion for this? Thanks

Nope. But I'll tell you how to do it yourself. ;)

You need change nothing with the specialty grains or brewing sugars. To convert pale/light LME to pale malt, multiply the LME amount (in pounds) by 0.75, or 75%.

A good rule of thumb to get you in the ballpark is:

1 lb malt = 0.75 lb LME = 0.6 lb DME

Have fun!

Bob

This recipe is pretty darn close. I changed the yeast. It might have been exact if I had used the right yeast. It took a long time to condition(5-7 weeks conditioning in keg). I kept sipping it, was disappointed and then it came into it's own. Smoothed out nicely, creamy head, sweetness was dominant with the hops flavor in the background. I will brew this again but it will be AG. I also didn't caramelize the brown sugar. :rockin: Charlie
PS Roaringbrewer, thanks for the recipe

This recipe is pretty darn close. I changed the yeast. It might have been exact if I had used the right yeast. It took a long time to condition(5-7 weeks conditioning in keg). I kept sipping it, was disappointed and then it came into it's own. Smoothed out nicely, creamy head, sweetness was dominant with the hops flavor in the background. I will brew this again but it will be AG. I also didn't caramelize the brown sugar. :rockin: Charlie
PS Roaringbrewer, thanks for the recipe

Cool, good to see that recipe is similar. DFH IBA is an awesome beer. I'm really into hoppy dark beers lately...

MMMM I can't wait to try this clone out.... got only 1 bottle of IBA left in the fridge.... Been saving it to compare with a clone, since DFH isn't distributed anywhere near here.

I have never tried DFH's IBA... I have actually never seen it at any of my local stores, usually they just carry the 60,90 and 120 IPAs as well as the Riason Detre and de'Extra, and then the holiday stout. I will have to ask about it. One of my first brews was a recipe a I called "South Indian Pale Ale" which was somewhat similar to this... I might consider revisiting that recipe with this one in mind...

I inferred that it was 6gal boil volume, 5 gal resulting. Maybe RB will correct me.

Either way, the easiest way to scale a recipe is using BeerSmith or other brewing software. Input the ingredients and size, then hit the scale button and select your new resulting size.

But at 7.2%abv, I think it looks right for a net of 5 gal into primary.

From my experience, the $20 I spent on BeerSmith was the best single investment I made in improving my brews. The ability to see how each ingredient affects the numbers, and to have all the important stuff automatically generated, help me focus on WHAT i'm doing, and not which number I messed up or which decimal I transposed. :)

You can download the software free for 1 month trial. There are at least 4 softwares out there worth looking into, beertools pro, beersmith, promash, etc. Thats a total of 4 months of free trial.

Go right now and download the software.

I love me some Brown India Ale, but I liked Terrapin's version better than DFH. My clone of this was my first (from the hip) clone.
It turned out fantastic despite the use of odd hop combinations.
I have made two batches so far and they are fantastic, about to try it as a partial mash.
5 gal. batch
6.6 lbs. Amber Liquid extract
1 lb. Honey
1 lb. Crystal 60
1/3 lb. Roasted barley
1/8 lb. Chocolate Malt
1 oz. Amarillo 30 min.
1 0z. Goldings 30 min.
1 oz. Chinook 30 min.
1 oz. Amarillo Dry Hop
White Labs 001
IBU- 62.5 ABV- 5.48

Holmesbrewer - you closed the thread with that recipe - seems interesting! - Might have to try it - I'm looking around for an Indian Brown style clone at the moment.

I'm curious how the IBA is getting its color. According BYO's clone recipe, it should be about 32 SRM, but there's no way to get that with those ingredients.

Are they getting this color from the caramelized brown sugar?

I'm curious how the IBA is getting its color. According BYO's clone recipe, it should be about 32 SRM, but there's no way to get that with those ingredients.

Are they getting this color from the caramelized brown sugar?

Entered into BeerSmith and I got a 35 I am guessing its from the Brown Sugar.

Entered into BeerSmith and I got a 35 I am guessing its from the Brown Sugar.

Which recipe? Here's the one I'm using (rounded for simplification):

10.75 lbs pilsner
1 lb flaked maize
11 oz amber malt
11 oz crystal 60
7 oz coffee malt
6 oz brown sugar
2 oz roasted barley

(omitting hops)

When I enter this into Beersmith for a 5.5 gallon batch, I only get 16 SRM. What the heck am I doing wrong here?

Oh, this is the clone recipe from BYO.

Look at the one roaring brewer posted above. I'd trust that one much more. I can't see DFH putting flaked maize in a brown ale

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried a version of this recipe.
10lbs 2 row
1 lb of Crystal 60
.75lb of Roasted Barley
.25 ib of Choc Malt
.5 lb of brown sugar

1.5 oz Amarillo 30min
1.5 oz Golding 30 min
1.0 oz Amarillo flame out
I had 7 gallons before boil and 6 gallon post boil. Preboil is 1.042 gravity which is little low but apparently we sparged too much water.

It is very dark as is, I think the roasted Barley is a little too heavy.

Last edited:
Back