Need wine rack ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
OK, so here's the deal. In my quest to never have empty fermenters, I started making some wines along with my beer, and I really enjoy doing both now. That being said, I've got 8 gallons of wine already bottled, and at least another 20 gallons in carboys just waiting on me to find enough empty bottles to finish those as well.

Now I need a wine rack, one that holds a LOT of wine bottles. I have a few woodworking tools (circular saw, band saw, chop saw, table saw, along w/ sanders, drills, etc.) but I have more tools than money or time. Does anyone know of some wine bottle storage plans that will hold at least a couple hundred bottles, but not blow my budget and be able to finish in a weekend? Looking nice is a plus, but not necessary since I have a cellar that I do all of my brewing in. I've tried doing searches, but "wine" and "rack" brings up way too much stuff since you rack your wine when you make it.

Thanks in advance.

Tubes work well in a pinch if you don't need it to be pretty. Either PVC or for even cheaper you can use cardboard. Get ones just a little bigger around than your bottles, cut them to length and mount them so they slope backwards just a few degrees.

If you are just looking for total utilitarian wine storage take 4 2"x3" uprights, 1" x 2" crossbars (should be good for about a 4' span). Take a large forstner bit or holesaw and drill a hole that takes off about 1/4" of the cross bars that will hold the wine (front and back cross bar, the small dip you cut will be enough to hold the bottles in place but not remove enough to weaken the crossbar much). Not pretty, but holds the wine fine for storage. I used #10 wood screws to hold it together. Quick and dirty.

For a quick and easy wine rack just make a cube. A 12 foot 2x10 will make a stackable 2'x2 cube with dividers to hold about 40 bottles each.

These are what I'm planning on building this winter, actually fairly simple looking to build and modular, look nice too

http://woodworking.about.com/od/woodworkingplansdesigns/ss/wineRack.htm

FullRack.jpg

Two of these, plus about 30 bottles of vintage wine only cost me $75 on craigslist. :D

HPIM2002.JPG
HPIM2003.JPG

Just keep looking. Not sure how far Jasper is from Chicago, but search chicago craigslist there are tons of racks for cheap.
I know you're looking for DIY - but you couldn't even buy the wood for that price and it would be less time to go pickup than to build.

-OCD

I paid $75 for the first one with a breezaire unit that needs freon. Then they call me a couple weeks later and say are you interested in the other one too? (working unit) I say depends how much - they say just come get it. They were moving into a smaller 1800's home where it wouldn't fit. While I'm strapping it to my truck they come out and ask if I'd want some of the wine they don't want to take with them. I googled every bottle and figure I'm at about $1500 in wine. Makes me wonder about the bottles they took with them.

-OCD

Oh, I am not against buying a premade rack, I've just not found one yet. I did find a like new magic chef 40 bottle wine fridge on craigslist awhile back for $30. Probably the best buy I've ever gotten on there.

OK, so here's the deal. In my quest to never have empty fermenters, I started making some wines along with my beer, and I really enjoy doing both now. That being said, I've got 8 gallons of wine already bottled, and at least another 20 gallons in carboys just waiting on me to find enough empty bottles to finish those as well.

Now I need a wine rack, one that holds a LOT of wine bottles. I have a few woodworking tools (circular saw, band saw, chop saw, table saw, along w/ sanders, drills, etc.) but I have more tools than money or time. Does anyone know of some wine bottle storage plans that will hold at least a couple hundred bottles, but not blow my budget and be able to finish in a weekend? Looking nice is a plus, but not necessary since I have a cellar that I do all of my brewing in. I've tried doing searches, but "wine" and "rack" brings up way too much stuff since you rack your wine when you make it.

Thanks in advance.

My simplest racks are 6 x 1 inch boards resting on either bricks or 4 inch blocks of wood. The boards can be set to slant down to the wall by 10 to 15 degrees, but this is not essential. Providing you use a wine inventory system like Vinote - www.vinote.com, you can place your bottles randomly on the boards and you use the numbered Vinote tags to identify and locate your wines. Density of bottles is high as bottles are not separated by and cost is minimal.

I would go for this design. 24 bottles per cube. When you have tons and tons of the same wine, there's really no point in having a separate slot for each and every bottle:

MP10000170563_P255045_500X500.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/prod...0000003260370&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=11284848

$39 ea.

Or cheaper here, but they're made to order and would take a while:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/wine/wineracks/instantcellar/CUBE.shtml

Beware of earthquakes and other shaking things with these racks. The top bottles can easily move out, ultimately causing a deluge of falling bottles.

How about taking a piece of 3/4" or 1" plywood and drilling a bunch of 1 1/4" holes in a pattern? Stick the neck in the hole and your'e done. A bit of either steel or 2x frame and base and you're set.

B

Remember the boxes really only work well if you have standard flat wine bottles (forget the name they're called). But once you start getting belgians and champagne bottles, they don't have the same nice flat surface area and tend to be a giant PITA when stacked like that.

I do have some plans for one of those boxes, and plans for a rather cheap but functional rack, however the size limit on attachments here is killing me.

if you want them, email me: jezter6|at|gmail|.|com

My current rack is 12 bottles boxes stacked on top of each other, all over the back bedroom. Something my wife has been on my a$$ about for a few years.

I have been looking at designs and have come up with using 1 meter squares with cross cut X's made from 1"x"1 timber. Simply make three frames, put connecting pieces between the frames at the corner of the boxes and the X crosses.

I have come up with the plan but have not built any. Has anyone actually built their own racks?

OK, how about just milk crates on their side until you have time to do something better?
I would really wait it out until you get that craigslist score. I checked in my area and there is NOTHING. So it's a timing thing. Wait it out.

-OCD

Latest posts

Back