Brewing as an Olympic event

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fingers

Reaction score
So what do you think? Pretty much every country in the games has its own brew, and we have ballroom dancing and curling, so why not brewing? If you think sports bring nations together wait until they start competitive brewing. There ARE no losers.

There's no way it belongs in the Olympics (along with a couple of the current events). Brewing has virtually no physical element - I'm sure some of the best brewers in the world are incredibly out of shape, but it makes no difference in their ability to produce amazing beers, even when done the manual homebrew way.

I'm sure there's no international event for brewing that draws as much attention as the Olympics, but there are definitely some out there. I'm a n00b... All I can think of is Oktoberfest. What else is out there everyone?

I mean...ignoring the World Beer Cup and all...

manual grain crushing, aerating the wort, lifting brewing equipment, etc.- there's definitely a *slight* physical aspect to brewing...but making an intense competition out of it all would violate the golden rule of brewing: RDWHAB!

If it were made to a competitive sport, I think I would have won a bronze medal this past weekend with my 4 brews. :D

We should at least figure out delegations. Kaiser's representing the Germans. Orfy's representing the Brits. We've got PeteOz, who's an ex-pat but I suppose they'll let him represent them. Bradsul and a bunch of other guys from up North.

Actually, much cooler than The Brewing Olympics would be HBT BeerFest!

We should at least figure out delegations. Kaiser's representing the Germans. Orfy's representing the Brits. We've got PeteOz, who's an ex-pat but I suppose they'll let him represent them. Bradsul and a bunch of other guys from up North.

Actually, much cooler than The Brewing Olympics would be HBT BeerFest!

DAS BOOT!!!

Ooh, I know what we could do. We could vow to brew beers representing at least four or five different countries in the month of August. Some kind of English ale, a German lager, an American IPA or pale ale, some kind of Belgian beer... maybe an Asian lager using a lot of rice as adjunct...

Ooh, I know what we could do. We could vow to brew beers representing at least four or five different countries in the month of August. Some kind of English ale, a German lager, an American IPA or pale ale, some kind of Belgian beer... maybe an Asian lager using a lot of rice as adjunct...

You might be on to something. Maybe an Olympics Beer Swap.

Brew a minimum of three international beers during August. Swap in October/November.

If that doesn’t work…I say we do a “Yeast-Consumption-Induced Flatulence Competition”.

You might be on to something. Maybe an Olympics Beer Swap.

Brew a minimum of three international beers during August. Swap in October/November.

If that doesn’t work…I say we do a “Yeast-Consumption-Induced Flatulence Competition”.

Yes! We haven't done a swap in a while, other than 888. I'll start a thread today about this. Three beers from three countries.

You might be on to something. Maybe an Olympics Beer Swap. Brew a minimum of three international beers during August. Swap in October/November.

I am SO all over this one. C'mon, Bird, where's the signup? :p

German, English, and ... hmmm ... New Zealandish. :fro:

Back