How much honey to backsweeten?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomTwanks

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've read quite a few different threads on this and just wanna see if this is a decent amount to backsweeten. Note recently stabilized this.

Background on my mead
14.5 lbs orange blossom mead
D47 (2packs)
15 lbs blueberries so far

My plan is to get this mead to semi sweet @ 1.010ish. Got mead calculator says I need roughly 1.5 lbs of honey to achieve this. I was going to take 1.5 lbs and mix vigorously in warm water and pour it in my current mead. Sound good? Any recommendations? Any other way to achieve this level of sweetness? my big concern is the overall mixture of the honey added. It's been aging since 12/12/12 and would like to bottle up within a few months.

Personally I would just mix a half pound of honey with the same volume of water.

Then add half of that gently stirring in. Once you're confident its fully incorporated, take a gravity test and a small taste.

Repeat as necessary. Taste is a better guide than a hydrometer at this stage, yet if you get your 1.010 target and the taste is "it might need a tiny bit more" then I'd leave it there as you may get some extra perception of sweetness recovering later.

Your main caveat is that sweetening with honey can sometimes cause a haze, which I believe is proteins. Be prepared for that.

If it did haze on you, its either further time to allow it to drop out or 2 part finings works for me -but I do usually fine it and then leave it for a month so any sediment can compact down before racking off to a bottling bucket.

Finally, your mead should have been stabilised with sulphite and sorbate prior to back sweetening.....

I did stabilize with sulphite/sorbate about 6 days ago. I most likely should have added that my FG was 0.996. I definitely agree that taste is better than numbers, but how do you fully incorporate the honey without mixing it in with excess air? I recently racked and stabilized, 3 days later added a additional 6 lbs of blueberries, and now (3days after adding blueberries) want to sweeten to taste.

In earlier stagesi did add pectic enzyme for the clarity and extraction of color/taste. I'm not worried about dog as of now because I can wait, but if feeling frisky I do have clarifying agents.

As above i.e. 50/50 water and honey then mix in incrementally. Just gently stir in with spoon or paddle.

You don't need to stir the living crap out of it, just gently stirring is enough.

Meads don't oxidise like beers and wines......

I just back sweetened a 5 gallon back of Tart Cherry Melomel and I did it with sweet cherry puree. Little at a time but I added 4 cups of the puree and it tasted amazing. I also used potassium sorbate and Camden Tablets in it prior to doing such. Normally I back sweeten with honey mixed with a little warm water but with this batch I really wanted the cherry notes to be prominent.

Back