Can not find leak on Cornelius regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hi,

My latest regulator is a used Cornelius model that goes into to 2 secondary regulators.
This Cornelius regulator will not hold pressure when I turn off the tank valve and I assume it is at the tank connection ...maybe....
I want to try and stop it from leaking and bleeding down to zero pressure.

I have swapped different secondary gauge, re did all the teflon tape connections, put in a complete rebuild kit inside the regulator, tried a different tank connector, tried a rubber oring, nylon washer and fiber washer on the tank connection.

I have laid the regulator horizontal and flooded it with starsan including the safety pressure relief valve, while pressurized to find the leak, no dice.
I dont have a left hand thread primary guage to swap out.

I might try swapping out the secondary shut off.... but I think it is unlikely leaking...

I am out of options with this thing.
I assume it is the tank connection but can not stop it.
Any ideas?

thanks Kevin

8499031010_8d349fc5a7_z.jpg

8497926901_a8ed468618_z.jpg

thanks Kevin

This Cornelius regulator will not hold pressure when I turn off the tank valve...

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. You turn off the tank, and the pressure on teh regulator gauges goes to zero, right? Of course it would without any pressure coming in. Does it have a check valve (allows pressure to go out but not in)? If it does, it's not going to read what pressure is in the keg or it's own lines, because that pressure can't re-enter the regulator in reverse.

I'm having a hard time understanding what you mean. You turn off the tank, and the pressure on teh regulator gauges goes to zero, right?

Yes, but it should not go to Zero if there are no leaks.

If you have no leaks, you can turn on the tank valve, pressurize the regulator and turn off the tank valve. (Assuming you have an working shut off on the secondary out put and/or a hose/fitting that does not leak on the secondary output.) The regulator should stay pressurized and not leak down.

I put on a different regulator that I have been working with also, it holds pressure with the tank off -
(note the tank is about empty and only has about 200 psi in it)

I put an old corny oring between the tank and the regulator in the photo above.

8499473884_4abd14356c_z.jpg

So on the Cornelius regulator it must be leaking on the shut off valve or the tank connection....unless there is something about this Cornelius model I am not aware of and it is leaking else where.
I dont have a shut off that will fit up into the Cornelius, the built in relief valve is in the way.

thoughts?

thanks Kevin

I would guess it's the on off valve on the outlet that the gas line would go on. I would add a piece of gas line to the barb with a disconnect on the other end and leave that valve open. Then see if it goes down.

I would guess it's the on off valve on the outlet that the gas line would go on. I would add a piece of gas line to the barb with a disconnect on the other end and leave that valve open. Then see if it goes down.

I put in a new oring on the tank connection and shut off valve on the regulator output.

It has held pressure for 3 days now on a newly filled tank :) !!
Got new shut off valves from RiteBrew.

Now I have to chase a leak between the primary regulator shut off and the secondaries.... ugh.

thanks Kevin

8526809792_a74a4766e0_z.jpg

Put soapy water on everything that has a connection and also on the seal on top of the corny keg. This will tell you where the leak is then proceed accordingly.

I had a similar problem with a tank/regulator. Turned out it was at the valve on an old tank, not the regulator. Most times though, it's the fitting where the regulator attaches to the tank.

Does that regulator have a relief valve? Surprised you're holding it at 60PSI...I believe mine blows above 40 or 50.

Does that regulator have a relief valve? Surprised you're holding it at 60PSI...I believe mine blows above 40 or 50.

Most of the Cornelius regs I have seen are meant for beer or soda, so they don't usually blow the relief unless over 100 psi.

Just a heads up about Cornelius regulators. The connector to the co2 tank valve has a built in gasket that provides the seal. Click the LINK to see it in place.

This seal can be a serious PITA if it is compromised in any way. For me, and in my experience, the only reliable way is to replace the seal with the proper one that fits in the stem groove. There is a seal replacement KIT that can be easily used to solve the problem.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

P-J

Just a heads up about Cornelius regulators. The connector to the co2 tank valve has a built in gasket that provides the seal. Click the LINK to see it in place.

This seal can be a serious PITA if it is compromised in any way. For me, and in my experience, the only reliable way is to replace the seal with the proper one that fits in the stem groove. There is a seal replacement KIT that can be easily used to solve the problem.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

P-J

Hi
I had a older style built in oring on the regulator stem.
I have those seal adapter things on the tanks I rent.
I could not get a good seal though so I pulled them out of the tank and put in a plain no oring regulator stem.
I put in a regular oring between the plain stem and plain stem and cranked it tight... and it sealed. It was about the size of the ball lock oring.
I have had no luck with fiber washers or nylon washers to get a good seal with CO2 regulators... maybe it is something I am doing as I read with these seal things you have to have them not too tight or too lose.

thanks Kevin

Hello again....

I am now I chasing a leak on these secondaries....

8533533742_a9c93da30c_z.jpg

I figured out it is leaking out the weep hole... seems weird but the bubbles dont lie.

8532429661_0615f6df32_z.jpg

How do I fix this?
I hope there is a rebuild kit for these?

8533534506_3a098ba7a8_z.jpg

thanks Kevin

I would start by taking it apart. It might just be debris, but it could be the diaphragm. Take it apart, clean it, put it back together. If it still leaks get a rebuild kit.

I am having a hard time getting information on this regulator.

Perlick was of no help and said this regulator is over 18 years old...
Cornelius is telling me they dont have this part number.
They sent me over to their parts center, 3wire

Everyone thinks that this kit -
1008597 (cornelius number 183099000 ) - http://www.3wire.com/webstore/Common/PartImage.aspx?itemCode=1008597&size=L

...Will work but I am hoping someone has hands on experience and can verify this, before I tear my system apart again.

thanks Kevin

Back