Belgians - How much difference between kegging and bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
So, I am about to do a belgian dubbel, and I'm wondering how much difference really it will make if I bottle condition it compaired to extended aging in a secondary and then kegging it?
I would rather keg it as I'm running out of belgian bottles and I really don't want to buy more, but I would use what I have which is just enough for this batch if it will make them overall a lot better or even decently better.

Thanks a bunch!

Some of the belgians, ie unibroue carbonates the keg with yeast naturally not via a c02 line. You know if st. bernardus or a lot of the others do this also?

I'd natural carb in the keg...use a little less priming sugar than normal and age it. It's just a big bottle after all.

St bernardus 12 is awesome on tap.

Could be wrong but I believe they still naturally carb the beer then just use the CO2 to force it through the line.

I would always natural carb belgians. Which you can do in a keg. But I don't knwo how the time you'd let it carb would change vs a bottle.

Does the percentage of sugar you use stay the same or lessen? I don't want to add too much obviously and I guess I can correct it if it falls short.
Thanks for input

Does the percentage of sugar you use stay the same or lessen? I don't want to add too much obviously and I guess I can correct it if it falls short.
Thanks for input

In a keg? Use 1/2 the priming sugar you would normally if you were bottling. If you normally would use 5 ounces of corn sugar, use 2.5 ounces instead.

Back