Nelson Sauvin- Better alone or paired?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I've got 8 oz and I'd like to know how your experiences have gone with Nelson Sauvin. I'm going to make a pale ale and I'm not sure if they're best alone or would pair well with some good American northwest hops. I've got a pretty wide variety on hand but no Amarillo.

Probably a matter of preference but I prefer them paired with other hops. To me they can be a tad overbearing alone or even if used in mass quantity. I also prefer the beer have a little age with them also as the taste mellows into something quite nice. YMMV though.

they are great either way but I also prefer them paired, but I think most hops work better paired for hop forward beers

they go great with a wide variety of hops though - i did a rye ipa with simcoe, citra and NS that was outstanding

Thanks guys. I was already thinking to pair it with Citra and I think I am. I'm going to do an oz of each at 15 and 5 then an oz of Nelson at flameout. I'm going with a light bodied pale ale to really try to showcase the hops.

I'll agree, in my experience they're best with other hops. I did an IPA with amarillo, nelson, and motueka that turned out great.

Thanks guys. I was already thinking to pair it with Citra and I think I am. I'm going to do an oz of each at 15 and 5 then an oz of Nelson at flameout. I'm going with a light bodied pale ale to really try to showcase the hops.

be sure to dry hop with them as well - wonderful aroma IMO

they are one of the most potent hops I have used so far, the oz at flameout may dominate the citra, not a bad thing necessarily just something to be aware of.

I love Nelson on it's own - but as a new brewer I'm learning one hop per beer at a time (maybe mix them if I have any to spare). However it is used in Brewdogs Punk IPA and 5AM saint with other hops to great effect.

I agree, I love them alone but to be fair I haven't tried pairing them yet. I've used them for my pale ale where I bitter with magnum and then use NS at 20,0, and dry hop and I love it.
I'll have to try adding some amarillo with the 20 addition next time around.

be sure to dry hop with them as well - wonderful aroma IMO

they are one of the most potent hops I have used so far, the oz at flameout may dominate the citra, not a bad thing necessarily just something to be aware of.

I'm hoping for a bit more Nelson character. Citra is pretty potent too so this should be a punch in the face after dry hopping. I hope so anyway.

8 lbs 2 row
3 lbs Vienna
1 lb Terrified Wheat :D
8 oz each c60/20
.75 oz citra/nelson 15 min
1 oz each citra/nelson 5 min
1 oz nelson flameout
Mashed at 149-50 for 80 min.
1.053 og

I'm thinking about dry hopping with 2:1 nelson:citra. I'll update with results.

20120720_172202.jpg

I've got a Citra/Columbus Pale ale in primary that I'm kegging today that tastes like it was poured from the heavens.

Yeah I've got a Citra/Columbus pale ale on tap now and its tasty for sure. I used 50/50 Citra/Columbus and the Columbus is a little more prominent that I had assumed it would be. :mug:

8 lbs 2 row
3 lbs Vienna
1 lb Terrified Wheat :D
8 oz each c60/20
.75 oz citra/nelson 15 min
1 oz each citra/nelson 5 min
1 oz nelson flameout
Mashed at 149-50 for 80 min.
1.053 og

I'm thinking about dry hopping with 2:1 nelson:citra. I'll update with results.

So how did this brew turn out? Curious about the hop combo.

dbrewski said:
So how did this brew turn out? Curious about the hop combo.

It was wonderful. My wife and I finished it in about 2 weeks. I've got a nelson/galaxy on primary now. Expecting great things again.

I did a nelson/simcoe brew a couple months ago, ended up tasting almost exactly like stone's ” enjoy by.” Planning on making a more heavily dry hoped version next.

Back