Possible Food Saver Replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a good deal. I was thinking of buying a vacuum sealer to use with bulk hops and grains. I think I will be looking out for one of these now. Where did you get it?

How much are the bags? The device is a good deal, but is this the same marketing as for razors? They give you the razor, then charge you 4 bucks a pop for the cartrages to make up the difference. Are the bags reuseable? If so, that might offset the cost of the bags a bit.

Allan

My mum used to make our school sandwiches at the beginning of the week and freez them.
She used to do the same thing with freezer bags and a srraw to suck the air out.

Thanks for passing on the info. This sounds like a good deal.
I checked out their webpage FAQ here a few highlights:

How much does Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ System cost?
Suggested retail price is $9.99 for the Reynolds® Handi-Vac Vacuum Sealer Starter Kit that includes 1 Vacuum Sealer and 3 Quart Size Vacuum Freezer Bags. The cost is $3.29 for cartons of 14 Quart Size Bags or 9 Gallon Size Bags.

Where can I buy the Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ System?
The Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ Vacuum Sealer and Vacuum Freezer Bags System is available at major Grocery and Mass retailers.

Can I reseal Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ Vacuum Freezer Bags?
Reynolds Handi-Vac Vacuum Freezer Bags are resealable so you can remove part of the original contents and reseal the Bags. Remember to follow food safety practices and place the Bag back in the freezer before the original contents defrost. Once all original contents are used, discard Bag.

How long will the batteries last in the Reynolds® Handi-Vac™ Vacuum Sealer?
Typical battery life is 100 bag evacuations but can vary based on Bag contents and usage patterns. Install six new AA alkaline batteries when needed.

Man....that's a good deal. I always knew foodsavers were way overpriced.

Stick with a food saver. They get you on the bags for sure.

With a food saver all the bag sizes are customized by you. I even cut them into 4x4 squares, seal 3 sides and pre-measure out my hops. ;)

That system can't do it.

Just my opinion.:D

Yeah but a FoodSaver is expensive and other than hops, I really would have no use for one right now - sure, after I get one I'm sure I'd find other uses, but I just can't justify the cost "just for hops".

I think the quart sized bags were $3.00 for 14 at my grocery store and the bags are reusable, up to ten times according to Reynolds, so at a price of $.02 per bag per use, I think that's a pretty good deal.

I read this thread while SWMBO was out at Target. One cell phone call later...
hops_handivac.JPG

Need I say more? It was every bit as fast and easy as they say, it literally took less than a minute from the time the thing was still in the package and the hops were still in the freezer, to having them vacuum sealed. I'd say it's $10 very well spent.

Also, FYI, it takes 6 AA batteries but it does come with a set already in it. Not bad for the price.

Now to see how well it holds its seal, and eventually to see how reusable the bag is.

It'd take A LOT of handyvac bags to make up for the cost of just the foodsaver unit itself. I like being able to cut/size bags with a FS, but if I could go back, I'd have gotten this unit.

FWIW, I threw out all my mismatched/scratched/spaghetti-sauce-stained tupperware and replaced it with the glad disposable tupperware from the grocery store. It's really pretty good quality; you can use them forever, and you can get an entire set that fits together neatly for like $5. Glad knows what it's doin' lately:)

Guess that makes me a Glad Fanboy:)

Funkenjäger said:
hops_handivac.JPG

Need I say more? It was every bit as fast and easy as they say, it literally took less than a minute from the time the thing was still in the package and the hops were still in the freezer, to having them vacuum sealed. I'd say it's $10 very well spent.

Now to see how well it holds its seal, and eventually to see how reusable the bag is.

Yep. Looks the same... :cross:

PB030008.jpg

Saw them demonstrating these at the store the other day. I have a long list of brewing equipment I want to buy and SWMBO regulates the rate at which I buy, a foodsaver is near the bottom. I think this is one thing that I can convince her we need in general, good for buying meat in bulk.

I love it when you can get things for brewing that are disguised as household items.....like herb infuser balls.

That's funny. I saw these just yesterday at the grocery store and thought it would be great for storing hops and way cheaper than a foodsaver. Even if the thing breaks down in a year and I have to buy a new one to replace it it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the foodsaver and seems just as useful esspecially if the only thing I'm going to use it for is hops. Hell of a lot easier to justify $10.00 than $120.00.

This has been a really interesting thread -- I have been considering a food saver for a while now, and this has me thinking.

One thing -- in every comparison/review of different vacuum packagers I have read, a lot of people identify the vacuum pressure (suction) of the unit as being a key factor to a good machine. Clearly a little battery powered pump isn't going to be nearly as effective as a more costly food saver unit -- does this concern anyone?

:mug:

FlyGuy said:
This has been a really interesting thread -- I have been considering a food saver for a while now, and this has me thinking.

One thing -- in every comparison/review of different vacuum packagers I have read, a lot of people identify the vacuum pressure (suction) of the unit as being a key factor to a good machine. Clearly a little battery powered pump isn't going to be nearly as effective as a more costly food saver unit

:mug:

Why not? It doesn't have to suck the hat off of your head from ten feet away. It just has to suck the air out of a little baggie. It's certainly is worth the ten bucks to find out. I'm heading out to get one tomorrow. Time for an experiment.:)

Bernie Brewer said:
Why not? It doesn't have to suck the hat off of your head from ten feet away. It just has to suck the air out of a little baggie. It's certainly is worth the ten bucks to find out. I'm heading out to get one tomorrow. Time for an experiment.:)
I just mention it because it is apparently a key consideration when comparing various makes and models of vacuum packaging systems. From this, I assume the strength of the vacuum pump could be relevant here, as well.

I guess my real concern is that if those battery units don't generate much suction, one would be just as well off with some cheap, regular zip lock bags and a straw, as Orfy mentioned.

FlyGuy said:
I just mention it because it is apparently a key consideration when comparing various makes and models of vacuum packaging systems. From this, I assume the strength of the vacuum pump could be relevant here, as well.

I guess my real concern is that if those battery units don't generate much suction, one would be just as well off with some cheap, regular zip lock bags and a straw, as Orfy mentioned.

Not a bad idea either:) :rockin:

It seems to suck the air out quite well. I don't think you could even come close with a bag and a straw. I don't think you could have sucked much more air out of the bag of hops I just sealed without crushing the hops. The whole thing feels like one solid mass, rather than loose pellets, just like all the professionally vacuum sealed hops I've gotten.

Seems good enough for me.

Funkenjäger said:
It seems to suck the air out quite well. I don't think you could even come close with a bag and a straw. I don't think you could have sucked much more air out of the bag of hops I just sealed without crushing the hops. The whole thing feels like one solid mass, rather than loose pellets, just like all the professionally vacuum sealed hops I've gotten.
You have me sold! I'll be looking for one of these -- hope they have them in Canada!

You gotta love it! I post a message, someone else reads it, calls SWMBO and boom, someone gets some new brew gear! :ban:

Funkenjäger said:
hops_handivac.JPG

Also, FYI, it takes 6 AA batteries but it does come with a set already in it. Not bad for the price.

Wife is going to Walgreens, so I asked her to pick one up for me.

She took the boy with her, so I get about 20 minutes of uninterrupted football and HBT surfing

Could I vac seal crushed grain with this and use it at a later point in time? I know crushed grains need to be used within a few days, but I'm thinking longer term storage of up to a month maybe without any bad side effects to the grains.

I'm a long-time Foodsaver die-hard. My uncle hawks them on QVC & infomercials, so we've had them in our family for years. I would never think to substitute these reynolds things for the versatility of the FS...the size restrictions of the bags seems like an issue. I also use my FS for a lot of canisters. But if I didn't want to spend the $$ on a FoodSaver, but wanted to suck the air out of my bags of hops, I couldn't think why the $10 would not be worth a try.

Cheesefood said:
Wife is going to Walgreens, so I asked her to pick one up for me.

She took the boy with her, so I get about 20 minutes of uninterrupted football and HBT surfing

I would wager any amount of money that "hand cream" and/or Vasoline will be prominantly featured during this 20-minute window, as well...

the_bird said:
I would wager any amount of money that "hand cream" and/or Vasoline will be prominantly featured during this 20-minute window, as well...

Nah...I went Gamer Geek. I'm picking up a Food Saver tonight thanks to Craig's List. Miles ended up being a HLT (Holy Living Terror) so she didn't get the shopping done.

I've got to hit Target and Depot tonight with The Bean, so I'm going to look. Hopefully, my two pounds (Cascade and Fuggles) from hopsdirect are waiting for me at the house....

Evan! said:
I'm a long-time Foodsaver die-hard. My uncle hawks them on QVC & infomercials, so we've had them in our family for years. I would never think to substitute these reynolds things for the versatility of the FS...the size restrictions of the bags seems like an issue. I also use my FS for a lot of canisters. But if I didn't want to spend the $$ on a FoodSaver, but wanted to suck the air out of my bags of hops, I couldn't think why the $10 would not be worth a try.

My dad's been using foodsavers for years too, and I've had one since I was 18. I think they've paid for themselves. I have saved money on bulk cheese (shredded and frozen), hamburger patties, steaks on sale, chicken parts, etc. I even pre-marinate my tri tips and freeze them, when it's time for a Q, I can defrost and it's good to go. You can reuse bags (I don't for chicken), and the canisters are great.

I agree, for $10...I think it is worth a shot.

I love this place, I just browse through and 20 min later i'm back from teh market with one of these things. I had 8oz of whole leaf Cascade in the freezer NOT airtight for about 5 weeks now. Maybe they'll get a little more longevity now.

Bought mine yesterday. And ordered 2 1/2 pounds of hops from Freshops. Can't wait for those puppies to get here so I can pop the cherry on this new little toy!

Back