Couple Questions Regarding a Hef - Yeast and Fermentation Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Hey,

I try reading as much as possible. However, I cannot find answers to my questions.

I'm going to brew a Simple Hef by Hooter - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/simple-hefeweizen-186432/
I'm going to add 1lbs of corn sugar.

My LHBS did not hare Danster Munich. So, he sold me Safbrew WB-06. It's hard to get straight answers from the owner. I think he has ADD. That's not a dig, but I think he brain just goes super fast and doesn't explain everything he meant to or that I asked.

1) What's the difference between Danstar Munich and WB-06?

2) What kind of taste should I expect if I mixed S-04 and WB-06? I have washed S-04 yeast from a previous batch?

3) How long is too long for a Hefeweizen or Wheat? I know it's a quick turn around beer and have read that people usually take it from grain to glass from 10 to 14 days. I'm not paranoid about it. I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Elias

1. Very little
2. Why would you do this. No need to. There is plenty of viable yeast in the WB-06. S-04 may ferment out most of the sugars before the 06 gets going and you will lose most (if not all) of the hefeweizen esters you would get from 06. 04 is too clean in flavor for a hefeweizen.
3. A year is too long. A hefe is good IMHO after fermenting for 2 weeks then bottle/keg for at least a week. It will slowly lose its quality over time. After a year, it will likely be fairly boring.

If you wanted more of a true Hefe I would recommend that you use a hefeweizen strain by Wyeast or Whitelabs.

Also, why are you adding corn sugar? It will somewhat thin the beer out. If its because you want to bump up the alcohol, first I would say that is silly, second I would say to use a pound of DME instead.

Also, why are you adding corn sugar? It will somewhat thin the beer out. If its because you want to bump up the alcohol, first I would say that is silly, second I would say to use a pound of DME instead.

Not only that, but a Hefeweizen should be at least 50% wheat. Adding corn sugar may mean you have too little wheat.

A traditional German Hefe is 50% Pilsner Malt, 50% Wheat Malt, One Hallertau Addition @ 60, and a Hefeweizen yeast (I use 3068).

Definitely skip the corn sugar...if you want more ABV, just bump up the malt/extract amount.

The one pound of sugar will dry the beer out way too much. If you want more Abv, then add more wheat malt. As stated, a German Hefe is supposed to have AT LEAST 50% wheat malt.

My Hefes have always been done in two weeks, give or take a couple days. They carb up fast enough that I'm drinking them right at a month- start to finish.

My favorite yeast is Wheihenstephan Wyeast or White Labs. VERY hard to beat.

Pez.

EDIT - DUH - most of my post just repeated TopherM. Guess I need to read more before I type.

Thanks for the responses.

As far as #2 goes, I was curious. Now I know. In the future, I would love to experiment with mixing yeast.

In regards to adding sugar, Yes - I do like thinning out the beer. I have added DME to recipes before and sometimes it just too much for me. I think I burned myself out on heavy malted beers. I did a few stouts and a few porters back-to-back. Now, I don't even care to open the last few bottles that I have left.

Maybe I'll try .5lbs of DME and .5lbs of sugar.

Now days, I only like to drink beers with 6% abv and higher. I actually like to drink higher abv beers, but less in quantity. You guys don't have to agree with it or understand it. It's just me.

I'll probably let this go fro 17 days.. That's unless someone can convince me to bottle it at day 14.

Thanks,
E

In regards to adding sugar, Yes - I do like thinning out the beer. I have added DME to recipes before and sometimes it just too much for me. I think I burned myself out on heavy malted beers. I did a few stouts and a few porters back-to-back. Now, I don't even care to open the last few bottles that I have left.

If thats what you like, there is nothing wrong with that. Since that is your goal is to up the ABV and to thin it out/dry it out a bit, then consider saving yourself some money and go with granulated sugar in the boil. There is a very experienced brewer in my club that only makes big beers and he regularly uses granulated sugar and makes some fantastic beers. I would avoid the DME in your case.

I didn't think about using granulated sugar.

I remember reading a thread on here about corn sugar vs. table sugar. I really don't remember much about the thread other than someone talking the complexities, or lack of, of table sugar.. or corn sugar. :confused:

5lbs of corn sugar is $4.95 at my LHBS. I have to ask my wife how she pays for table sugar at the store..

Thanks,
Elias

I didn't think about using granulated sugar.

I remember reading a thread on here about corn sugar vs. table sugar. I really don't remember much about the thread other than someone talking the complexities, or lack of, of table sugar.. or corn sugar. :confused:

5lbs of corn sugar is $4.95 at my LHBS. I have to ask my wife how she pays for table sugar at the store..

Thanks,
Elias

you can get 4 or 5 lb's of table sugar for $2.22 at walmart.

Back