Sams Adams Latitude 48 IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClydeWigg3

Reaction score
Sitting here drinking one of these, never tried it before, but kinda pumped because my flat beer I'm waiting to carb up taste exactly like this. Only diff is this stuff is 6% and mine is measuring up at 9%.

I love that beer, certainly one of my top five.

Would you mind sharing the recipe you used?

i have always felt that its a good introductory IPA.
Same here. It's actually the first IPA I remember enjoying. Then I really started getting into IPAs so I don't drink that one anymore. I'll always remember it fondly as my gateway IPA though. :p

my flat beer I'm waiting to carb up taste exactly like this. Only diff is this stuff is 6% and mine is measuring up at 9%

A beer with 50% more alcohol isn't going to taste particularly close to the lower alcohol version. Assuming you used a recipe for the normal version, and yours is a 9% ABV version, you are going to have a strong alcohol burn on your version. To keep it in balance, you would have needed to up both the grain bill and the hop schedule to keep the beer in balance with the alcohol. You can't just add alcohol and expect it to taste the same. You may as well have added 3% of the total volume of grain alcohol to the fermenter. That's what this one is going to taste like!

Hopefully you did scale up the grain and hops appropriately, and didn't just and sugar or DME or some other simple sugar!

I have one of the Simcoe Latitude 48 IPA carbing up now myself, based on the single hop versions from last summer. If they do that again, pick up one of these. The Simcoe version is even better than the original.

Back