Your worst brew ever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
I would have to saw today has been the most frustrating day for brewing that I have ever had. Until my MLT comes in I do AG brewing on the stove top with an 8 gal and a 5 gal stock pot. I use deathbrews method since I also have an electric stovetop. The brewing process began with me remembering that I did not get a grain bag whilst getting my kit. So I had to mash and sparge in the same pot and scoop the grains out with a bowl to run through a strainer to get the wort before I could start the boil. By the way, im making a dunkelweizen which calls for 12lb of grain. So all in all this batch has sucked and I cant wait for my MLT. Anybody else wanna share their stories for when you had the worst time brewing your beer? :mad:

My first homebrew ever I broke my thermometer and my hydrometer. I couldn't get a roiling boil on my electric stove. To make matters worse when I finally tasted it, it tasted like dirty socks. It was horrible. I kept telling myself to let it age and condition and it will be ok. Well to keep it short i just dumped the last 6 bottles because I needed them for a brew I was about to bottle. Those 6 bottles were 16 months old and absolutely the prettiest, clearest beer I have ever seen. Still tasted like dirty socks though. The really sad part is I drank 42 of them!:(

I started a batch of all grain Evil Twin during a snow storm. As the mash finished the power went out. I wanted to finish on the propane cooker but didn't have enough water (elec water pump). Power was out for days and this ended being a dumper.

Sad stories all around, my batch is doing good so far. Im about done with the boil and about to cool down.

Very first beer I brewed was Brewers Best "Pumpkin Spiced Porter". It came with a packet of spices that made my garage smell amazing. Sadly, the beer tasted like a coriander,nutmeg, all spice smoothie. It was aweful. A year later I dumped the last of it. The packet looked like a little much, I should of gone with my gut and used only a little bit of it.

I kegged a batch a month ago and had a touch left over, so I filled two little stubbies. I grabbed a couple of sticks of sugar to prime them. I kept the bottles because I was giving the keg to a friend and wanting to taste the brew. Popped one two weeks later. Under carbed and a bit sickly sweet. Hmm, I thought. Hasn't used up all the sugar. Gave it another 10 days. Popped the last one open. Beautiful pour. Great foam. Same sickly sweet taste. Huh? Where have I tasted that taste before? What is that?!
I reach into the drawer and pull out the pack of sugar sticks I used. Yep. Sure enough. Aspartame. Diet pepsi cali common. Worst beer I ever brewed. Thank God I only primed two bottles. The keg was magnificent, I heard.

Brewed up a Chocolate Rasberry stout, bought all of the ingredients but mistakenly picked up whole leaf hops instead of pellets. Had to go with what I had. It ended up way under bittered, way too sweet. Tried to talk myself into liking it, but never finished the keg. Lesson learned.

i just finished drinking a pretty disappointing "pale ale". i wanted a honey grapefruit taste but i didn't use enough honey malt OR enough hops so it was just bland and bleh. the maris otter i used as a base for some reason didn't help at all, was kind of nutty and i wanted it dry. i switched to 2 row, tripled the honey malt and more than doubled the hops so we'll see, it's fermenting right now! :fro:

Cracked a floating thermo in a batch of AHS Vanilla Porter during boil... Watered the yard with that one...

Last year's Pump-Kin Ale apparently mashed way LOW and over hopped... Nothing like a thin pumpkin ale... Rinsed the oil of the driveway with the kegs that one...

Made a "WTF?" batch of IPA out of an order of grain I f-ed up and bought while volunteering at a LBHS (grain bill was great BTW) and somehow added enough Magnum, Centennial and Simcoe to make something more astringent than witch hazel... That one didn't make it out of the fermenter...

Kick in the balls moment : Pale Ale v2.0 didn't get touched at a SuperBowl party I supplied beer for in favor of Deathbrewer's Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH... Teachable moment = K.I.S.S. (BTW, everyone LOVED that beer)....

Great stories! Six years ago I had brewed two batches of extract and thought that I was obviously a seasoned brewer...I went on-line and just started ordering different grains that sounded good at the time...ordered some hops...yeast and some honey. I ground the grains in a coffee grinder...hahaha...and added way too much honey. About a week after I bottled it they started exploding...lesson learned and now I am a much more humble brewer!

Back