Just cut opened my keggle, what is in there??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyles609

Reaction score
Just cut the tops off my three newly acquired kegs and after 24 hours of soaking in oxyclean and much scrubbing this is what's left

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Kyles609/12b4fe7f.jpg

This is what the others look like (what I was expecting)

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa427/Kyles609/38761cf8.jpg

Any high test industrial cleaners i could use? It feels textured and dont want to leave it like this. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to sand this down. Any help is appreciated.

Bar Keepers Friend is what I would suggest without actually being able to see the pics (Im at work). That stuff is the best for Stainless Steel.

Yeah - BKF is your friend. Use green scrubby too. It'll come right off - whatever it is.

Beerstone ... had the same problem (worse actually) in a few of my keg kettles. I tries everything to remove it -- PBW, Bar Keepers Friend, Beer Line Cleaner, vinegar, concentrated nitric acid, scrubbies, boiling -- to no avail. Finally broke down and used 120-grit sandpaper (wet sanded). Came right off.

It's probably just beer scale. Just use the BKF and the scrubbie as others said and you'll be good to go. BKF is great to remove any rust as well, it's handy to have around.

Oh, and be sure to smooth out your cut before reaching in there ... nothing worse than catching your forearm on a jagged edge.

something you should know about barkeepers friend- its mostly oxacilic acid, which will convert the chromium in stainless steel into chromium oxide. this is a good thing as it will create a protective layer on the steel, the same thing oxygen does to aluminum pots. if you ever scrape, sand or cut your kegs, its a good idea to wash them with BKF after to build up that oxide layer.

+1 to what audger said ... Any time you compromise the passive layer (by cutting, scraping, sanding, etc.), you'll want to re-passivate.

Back