natural gas valve-help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happytrails

Reaction score
I just completed my three tier system:ban:, and i am using two of the 23 tip burners for the HLT and Boil Kettle!
i am using 1/2 copper pipe for the fuel suppy! fed by a 3/4 pipe t'd to 1/2"
two questions: what distance from burner tip to kettle? i have them set @ 4" but it seems too close , as it leaves the bottom of kettles black from soot? when the burners are running w/out the kettles on them, i get nice blue flames, but when kettle is on, there are orange tips? will try 6" next

second question: i am using ball valves to regulate the fuel flow, this works fine on the HLT but i need better control over my BK flame, very hard to make fine adjustments with the ball valve! is there some valve that is more precise ?.
thanks in advance
scott

The valve you need is a needle valve. I am currently looking for them as well locally.

I'm pretty sure they would be OK for propane, but I'm not at all sure that they would be large enough to use with the very low pressure NG. Maybe give them a call and see what they say.

Back