Raw (fresh) Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jet35a

Reaction score
I'm planning to make a batch of Graff cider with the cider I just finished pressing. Is it recommended to use Campden tablets, heat pasteurize or just let the "wild" beasties live.

If you just finished pressing it, and you don't plan to pitch your yeast for another week, you need to stabilize it, or it will start up on it's own, unless you freeze it. Otherwise, the yeast you add will generally dominate the feral yeast on the apples, with extreme prejudice.

Thanks for the response, fletch78. I don't think I will be able to make the batch for another week. Will the refrigerator work to stabilize the cider for that time or does it need to be frozen?

I would like to stay away from the campden tablets as my favorite wife has allergies to sulfur.

In my experience with raw cider, you've got about 1 week tops without freezing it before it starts to ferment. Even in the fridge, it will start. Slowly, but you'll know after two weeks in the fridge and drinking it, it will start to taste winey and you'll get a hiss when opening the cap.

You can freeze one gallon at a time and then refrigerate, it will stay icy cold for a week, and even after a week it may not be completely thawed. That's what I'd do.

I get cider directly poured into carboys at press. it is unpasteurized and ice cold. I just let it warm to room temp (4-5 hrs) and pitch/sprinkle cuvee wine yeast. It makes an excellent cider, and is zero work. Cuvee works well b/c it has zero krusen, needs no nutrient and is 50 cents a pack.

Latest posts

Back