which counterflow chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
From what I can tell there are two styles out there... the all copper, chillzilla type and the rubber hose over copper diy type.

The chillzilla is $190ish and a bit out of my price range.

I have seen several rubber hose type chillers in the 25ft-50ft range for under $100. Is there any reason to spend twice as much on the chillzilla or will I get by cooling my 10 gallons with the rubber hose style?

After lots of recent research, convinced I should be getting a chillzilla or plate chiller (latest is always greatest, right?), I ended up getting an immersion chiller. Primary reason is that if you dig deep enough, both the CFC and plate chillers seem to have issues with cleaning. Since I know myself and I know I'm not always the most careful when it comes to cleaning, I figured the safest bet is to stick with the immersion.

When I read about how adding a whirlpool will make an immersion chiller nearly as fast as the others the deal was sealed. It also gave me another excuse to get a pump. So, for about the same price as a plate or CFC chiller, I ended up with an immersion chiller and a pump which will serve many other purposes.

I can't imagine the chillzilla would be a much more efficient than a Hose and Copper CFC, I myself purchased a Plate Chiller on eBay for $60.00. For almost $200.00, definitely go with something else! Just my $.02.

Latest posts

Back