Portland hot spots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janx

Reaction score
Hey y'all!

I'm heading up to Portland this week. I've been there, and been to many of the pubs but I just wanted to see if anyone had any "must drinks" that I should hit? There are so many up there, I'm sure I haven't seen all the good ones.

For that matter, elsewhere in the state. We're driving and will be going up the 5 to McMinnville, then Portland, probably out to Hood River. So if there are any good pubs in those areas, I'd love to hear about them.

Hope you're all well! Cheers! :D

Where's David_42? He'll set you up good. That's his neck of the woods. Give him a PM if you wish.

David_42 may well live in Oregon, but he's a backwoods rube that lives out in the sticks! I live in Portland (OK Gresham, but it's in the Portland metro area). *runs and hides before he gets here*

Oh where NOT to pick! Let's see, in downtown portland there's Ringlers, Gresham has Main St Brewing Co, McMenamins are alright, but good when you want to just stop somewhere to eat/drink and are frickin everywhere. There's Clinton St Brewery near 26th and Powell.

In Hood River, definitely check out the Full Sail brewery http://www.fullsailbrewing.com/default.cfm

d'oh! Here's a good list of places to try along your trip:

http://www.nwbrewpage.com/orbpubs.html

This is by no means a complete list.

Hope that helps!

eviltwinofjoni said:
David_42 may well live in Oregon, but he's a backwoods rube that lives out in the sticks!

I wish I was a rube living in the backwoods with my nature, beer and damn bee's! ;)

I was out of town, drove to Oakland for Michealmas. Golden Valley Brewing in McMinneville is worth the trip up here all by itself. Get a 10 Tap sampler to start, because everything Mark does is great. I'll probably be having lunch there today. He may have his Fresh Hop seasonal out.

Dude said:
What about this place? McMenamins

I've heard many mixed reviews about McMenamins. Some are supposed to be OK, and some are supposed to be 12 kinds of awesome, none are bad. Then again, we have more beer snobs here per capita than anywhere else in the nation. ;) You can drink and watch a movie at the Bagdad Theater.

You could always take a tour of the Widmer brewing plant

OK, I'm done for now, I'll sit down now.

McMenamins in general make good beer, a few of them make great beer. However, I only go to them when there isn't a independent close by. The exception to that rule is John Barleycorn's (I5 & 217), because it is in a good location for business lunches. Many of them are also hotels, which can be handy when you are travelling.

Back