New Wyeast Strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
Available April - June

Wyeast 2575 Kolsch II, an authentic Kolsch strain direct from Deutschland. Wyeast 2450 Denny’s Favorite 50 comes to us from one of our most notable local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn
Duee to overwhelming demand, we see the return of the Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend, one of our most popular selections ever.

I might have to try the Denny Conn Yeast. He has a great Rye IPA recipe but it is kind of hard to find the hops at this time.

I looked on Wyeast site and found nothing about Wyeast 2450. Where did this info come from?

And what recipe is this used in?

KopyKat said:
I looked on Wyeast site and found nothing about Wyeast 2450. Where did this info come from?

I didn't see it either but I will believe Rich. In the original Rye IPA recipe it called for Brewtek yeast CL-50 which is not that common among homebrewers. I am assuming that the Wyeast strain will be this strain. The Rye IPA recipe is here.>>http://www.brew-monkey.com/recipes/html/connsryeipa.htm

I bought the hops to make Denny's Rye IPA a while back. I was going to use S-05 for the yeast, then I saw Denny post on another board that Wyeast was going to be coming out with the old CL-50 yeast so I held off brewing it.

CL50 is prb the brewtek yeast as previously mentioned:

CL50 California Pub Ale
74-76% apparent attenuation • medium flocculation • 60-70°F fermentation range

Classic American small-brewery flavor.
Leaves big, soft, well-rounded malt flavor.
Threshold diacetyl and ester support the silky profile, even in well-hopped beers.
Good for American red and pale ales.

http://www.brewingscience.com/

KopyKat said:

I am a Wyeast dealer, here is the rest of the info.

Wyeast 2575PC Kolsch II
An authentic Kolsch strain from one of Germany’s leading brewing schools. Rich flavor profile which accentuates a soft malt finish. Low or no detectable diacetyl production. Will also ferment well at colder temperatures for fast lager type beers.

Attenuation 73-77% Alc Tolerance 10%
Flocculation low Temp Range 55-70F (13-21C)

Wyeast 2450PC Denny’s Favorite 50
This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any style beer and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and helps accentuate the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuating. A great yeast for extract brewers and for fruit beers.

Attenuation 74-76% Alc Tolerance 10%
Flocculation low Temperature Range 60-70F

Wyeast 3763PC Roeselare Ale Blend
A blend of lambic cultures including lactic bacteria. Produces beers with a complex, earthy profile and distinct pie cherry sourness from a Brettanomyces culture. Aging for up to 18 months is required for full flavor profile and acidity to develop. Will produce a very dry profile due to super-attenuative nature of mixed cultures

Attenuation 80%+ Alc Tolerance 11%
Flocculation variable Temp Range 65-85 (18-30C)

Denny's Favorite 50 looks pretty interesting. I'm just about to order some of the berliner weisse yeast from the current VSS lineup, looks like I'll need to jump in on the next lineup when it comes out also. Thanks for the heads up!

brewt00l said:
CL50 is prb the brewtek yeast as previously mentioned:

CL50 California Pub Ale
74-76% apparent attenuation • medium flocculation • 60-70°F fermentation range

Classic American small-brewery flavor.
Leaves big, soft, well-rounded malt flavor.
Threshold diacetyl and ester support the silky profile, even in well-hopped beers.
Good for American red and pale ales.

http://www.brewingscience.com/

That sounds so awesome. I can't wait to try it!!!!

These yeast look good.

Kolsch is number 2 on my "to brew" list, need to make a Flanders red, and would love to make Denny's RyeIPA if I could afford the hops:drunk:

blacklab said:
Hey Superiorbrew - You guys getting anymore Pacman? Or is that gone?

I will be getting the kits & the PacMan but the only way to get it is through Brewcraft (A Distributor) because they worked out the deal, Wyeast is not selling it direct, only through them. I Hope to have both the kits (pricy) and the yeast in a couple weeks and keep it throughout the summer.

Press release from Rogue:

Dead Guy Appearing in Basements & Garages Nationwide!

NEWPORT, OR., February 20, 2008 (Rogue Wire Service): Brewcraft USA, a nationwide distributor of brewing equipment and ingredients began distributing a Rogue Dead Guy Ale Homebrew kit on January 23, 2008. The Dead Guy kit is the first beer kit for homebrewers that was cooperatively developed and branded by a U.S. craft brewer. The kit has been test brewed by the Cascade Brewers Society and given the official blessing of Rogue Brewmaster John Maier, a long-time member of the Cascade Brewers Society and Lifetime Member of Southern California’s Maltose Falcons.
John Maier began homebrewing in 1981 and went on to win the American Homebrewers Association Homebrewer of the Year Award in 1988. John started brewing for Rogue in 1989 when the Newport Rogue Brewery began in a rented garage. John created Dead Guy Ale in the mid-90s and has been Rogue’s brewmaster for 20 years.
135.jpg

Rogue Dead Guy Ale has won 25 awards for quality and excellence, including the 2007 Northwest Brew News Reader’s Choice Awards for Best Bock, and a Gold medal from the World Beer Championships.
Dead Guy Homebrew kits include whole Perle and Czech Saaz Hops, Amber, Munich and Crystal Malts, Candi Sugar and English Pale Ale malt extract. Rogue’s proprietary Pacman yeast (although not part of the homebrew kit) will be available at homebrew shops nationwide. Pacman yeast is part of the Very Special Strain (VSS) program developed by Wyeast Laboratories and was the #1 selling VSS product in 2007.

SuperiorBrew said:
I will be getting the kits & the PacMan but the only way to get it is through Brewcraft (A Distributor) because they worked out the deal, Wyeast is not selling it direct, only through them.

Blacklab...FYI...Brewcraft = Steinbarts. They bought Steinbarts a few years ago I believe.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Do you have a Kolsch recipe, Ed? I see that you brewed an Oktoberfest Ale last year using Kolsch yeast, but have you brewed an actual Kolsch?

Check the recipes under his name.

Back