apple wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawman1y

Reaction score
Hello guys I'm new here and I got a question I have made several batches of wine and they have all turned out good. I made 3 batches of apple wine 2 of them turned out great and tasted the same for the most part .the 3rd 1 o used a spiced cider pack my wife got for me and its done now and it taste just like apple juice with spices did I do something wrong any help would be great

So are you saying there is no alcohol? If so was it not obvious that there was fermentation and CO2 coming out the airlock?

After re-reading the above it sounds harsh and belittling. I don't mean it that way. I just want to get an idea of the situation. Also if you list the full recipe and give us a step by step on what you did many of us can help out.

It went through fermentation just like all my other wine my starting sg was 1.570 and it ended at 1.020 so I don't think that is the problem I used 4gallons of fresh pressed apple juice that I made and 1 gallon water 4lb bag of sugar 1/2 lb of light brown sugar my yeast was lc-118 the only thing I did add different was a package of apple cider spices from foodcity that my wife bought for me to try I believe it has a good alcohol content it just taste real sweet

It went through fermentation just like all my other wine my starting sg was 1.570 and it ended at 1.020 so I don't think that is the problem I used 4gallons of fresh pressed apple juice that I made and 1 gallon water 4lb bag of sugar 1/2 lb of light brown sugar my yeast was lc-118 the only thing I did add different was a package of apple cider spices from foodcity that my wife bought for me to try I believe it has a good alcohol content it just taste real sweet

I think you mean 1.057? 1.570 isn't a valid reading.

At 1.020, the cider (wine) just isn't finished. It should finish at more like .990 or so when it's done.

All fermentation stoped and the wine completely cleared so what do I need to do now

Is it still in the carboy?

Agree, 1.020 is too high, hence it still tastes just like apple juice (sweet).

No racked it and bottled it cause I believed it was done and I just thought i just added to much sugar

No racked it and bottled it cause I believed it was done and I just thought i just added to much sugar

Beware of the bottle bomb!

Personally I've never had EC-1118 finish anything at 1.020. Did you take hydrometer readings 3 consecutive days to see if it was finished?

Yes I checked 7times over the course if a week and it didn't change . And ec-1118 is all I use and have never had a problem with it

And my sg was 1.157 sorry

That can't be correct, unless you added like 40 pounds of sugar, instead of 4!

Apple juice alone tends to be around 1.050ish, and sugar gives 46 points per pound. Adding a gallon of water would dilute it a touch. I'm guessing that the actual OG if you had 4 gallons of cider, 1 gallon of water, 4 pounds of white sugar and .5 pound of brown sugar would be more like 1.075ish.

Your reading is flawed.

I'd definitely uncap those bottles, because there is something really wrong and you're looking at bottle bombs if you did bottle at 1.020.

I already did I believe that the spiced package I used somehow did something si I'm going to try and pitch somemore yeast and see what happens

I drunk 2bottles of it and it definitely isn't bad but jusft really sweet

Back