Getting high abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
Hi, I have just started my first batch of melomel. Its going to be a sparkling raspberry. I think it should be around 10%. I was looking for 15 %+ but was jot sure how To her it that high. I used brow sugar but was not sure how
fermentable it is, so I decided to stop adding it (put about 1/2 a cup). So im wondering what the best way to get alcohol % up without sweetening the melomel or changing the taste too much? In case it matters I am using ec-1118 as my yeast

Thanks,
Mike

Using 4 pounds of honey per gallon and lalvin 71-b yeast will get you a 15 % Mead if you ferment it dry.

Perfect, because I do want a dry mead, not too sweet, so basically as long as I let it ferment long enough it should be dry 15%ish?

Considering you started with a yeast that can tolerate 18%+ you can take your original gravity and figure out how much more honey you need to add to make up the difference in abv, the 1118 should have no trouble taking it dry.

really need a little more info, like original recipe, OG and all that

Considering you started with a yeast that can tolerate 18%+ you can take your original gravity and figure out how much more honey you need to add to make up the difference in abv, the 1118 should have no trouble taking it dry.

really need a little more info, like original recipe, OG and all that

I used 1000g of honey, 4l of water, 600g of raspberries and 1pkg of ec-1118. It's been in my primary for 6 days

Back