Beersmith Recipe Instructions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

el_horno

Reaction score
Just a quick question, the way the recipe reads, or my interpretation of it I should have 3.21 gallons of wort post mash/sparge preboil, and if not I am to add water to achieve this volume. Then I boil adding the hops per the schedule and once that is complete, and cooled it says I should have about 2.08 gallons of wort left at which I am supposed to transfer to my fermenter and then add the additional water to bring it up to 5 gallons.

Question is, why do I not add the additional water needed pre boil as opposed o post boil?

See image attached.

image-2015740000.jpg

Could you paste the instructions here? That is odd. Normally you would sparge with sparge water to get the rest of the wort preboil volume. Did you double check your entries, or are you following a specific recipe in there already?

Sorry I posted before I saw your instructions. Is that a recipe you are following. All I can say is, that is a way a lot of the Mr Beer instructions are, so maybe some recipes do that?

And this is not a premade recipe, something i threw together. says total water needed 8.24 gallons. Should i just mash with 3/4 of that and sparge with the left over?

It appears that this recipe is set up as a partial boil and not a full boil and that is why it is telling you to top off. You need to go back to your profile settings and verify the set up.

Thanks. New to beersmith (if you cant tell) trying to find where you set that.

I don't have Beersmith installed on the computer I'm on but it should be in either the water volumes or fermenation tab for the recipe. Set the top off to fermenter and top of to kettle volumes at zero. Then it will have you mash and sparge the full volume. Make sure to set your boil off and batch volume so you will get the right calculation.

You should also be able to modify this somewhere in the equipment profiles for your set up so you won't have to keep changing it within each recipe.

Back