Favorite Yeasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainelybeer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been brewing for just about 4 months and have just brewed my sixth batch. It's an IPA based on Jamil Zainasheff's "Hoppiness is an IPA" from Brewing Classic Styles. It's fermenting now, been going for almost 24 hours. I pitched roughly 6 ounces of Nottingham yeast I got fresh from a local brewery, pulled straight from the fermenter. I'm really excited to see how this batch comes out. This is my third time brewing with fresh yeast from the brewery (always Nottingham) and I've really loved the 2 beers made with it previously. I have also used Safale US-05, Wyeast 1332 and Wyeast 1945 but find that the Nottingham is my favorite. I try to ferment in the lower to mid 60s to keep flavors clean.

So after rambling a bit, my question: Does anybody want to share their favorite yeast strain(s)? I'd like to experiment, and am always looking for ideas.

There are lots of kinds of yeast used because they act differently and give different flavors. It's hard to have a favorite if you brew a variety of beers.

I do keep nottingham ale yeast around all the time though.
I don't live near a brew store so if I've got some nottingham I've got a backup plan with a yeast that doesn't add much in the way of special characteristics, flavors to the beer. Fairly neutral.

Safale S-04 gets used the most here.

I sent in 5 beers to a competition made with S04, I got two first places a second place, a 3rd Best of show and one that didnt place but advanced to mini best of show and got a 41/50.

It stores well (being dry)
It ferments fast (few days)
Drops clear in a week
Makes good beers

what more can i ask for?

I've used many over the last 15 years, mostly wyeast and white labs stuff. I've just recently tried dry nottingham for the first time and it's definitely a good one to keep on hand - versatile in flavor and temperature. I've also brewed my first session saison and you can't make a good one with just any yeast for that style (I used wyeast farmhouse ale). Another I'm liking is wyeast's scottish ale yeast as a all-around yeast, but you do need to be careful about fermentation temps a bit with this one (low and slow is it's game). To sum it all up, there are some good all-around types that work well for many occasions but you can't be completely limited to them because then you lack the ability to do other less common brews.

I used the S-04 in a New England Cider and it came out excellent. It was dry (8.25%), but still retained enough flavor from the juice.

If I had to pick one strain it would be Wyeast 1056. I've used it in an IPA and a stout, both came out great.

I'm pretty much all dry yeast these days, S05, S04, and Nottingham. Starters are just too much work for lazy me!

I like them all, but if I had to choose one it'd be difficult, probably S05. I don't do Belgian beers, British+ USA ales, some stouts and imperials.

Steve da sleeve

I really like White Labs California ale yeast and have used that quite a bit recently. Gonna use some Pacman yeast on a little IPA this upcoming weekend.

Wyeast 1099, whitbread. This yeast is so fast and also thourough. Takes huge OG and within 36 hours its down to 1.010 area.

Notice the name of the yeast. Notice the name of the poster. Not coincidence.

I did see this, but it does read like an interesting one to try.
I'm thinking the description sounds like it would be worth trying in a stout.

I did see this, but it does read like an interesting one to try.
I'm thinking the description sounds like it would be worth trying in a stout.

Yup. I've never used it but most people who absolutely love it. Which makes me wonder why I haven't tried it yet. Hmmm. Time to pick some up.

my personal favorite is by far white labs 02, however safale 04 is awsome in its own right, really depends on what you're going for but these two yeasts can brew most styles, I wash and reuse so versitility in a yeast strain is key

Depends on style....

1272 for IPA/APA's or anything that needs a clean yeast.
1968 for ESB's etc.
3711 for Saisons
3787 for Belgians.

Those are my go to yeasts. I do use others but if I had to limit it these would be my choice.

I really like Scottish Ale 1728 yeast and like what it brings to my IPA's. Good for higher alcohol beers too as it has a 12% threshold. I also use S 04 and 05 quite a bit.

I'm a huge fan of WY1968 Yorkshire. Makes for really easy top-cropping too.
WY1272 for anything clean (i.e., hops)
WY3522 for Belgians

Back