American Pale Ale Three Floyds Zombie Dust Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually do a 6 gallon post boil on this to account for trub loss and the loss to the dry hop and end with about 5g into the keg. The 1oz FWH will be fine, it will be your bittering. If doing a full boil, you dont need the 60min addition (you leave the FWH in for the whole boil). 7 days is fine for dryhop. I have actually been doing 2 dryhop additions lately in IPAs, splitting them in half, then going about 3-5 days per addition.

For your boil volume, there is a settingin beersmith for boil off rate. If this is your first brew, you probably don't know it. Make sure you keep record of your pre-boil and post boil so you can add this for future reference. My boil off rate is around 1.5g/hr, so if I am shooting for 5.5g, I usually start with 7g or so. That is outdoors on a turkey fryer. If you are on the stove, it will be lower.

Awesome that makes perfect sense!!! I'm definitely ready to rock and roll... :rockin:

Thanks Skeezer!

I am by no means a BeerSmith expert but the 5.7 gallon is a post boil volume. There is a cooling loss and a trub loss. This will get you to the 5 gallon range. The boil off rate is default at about 25% an hour. This will put you at about 7.6 gallons preboil.

Just poured my first beer from this keg and this is my third time with this maltbill. Twice with citra and once with citra plus some friends. Ive used 3 yeasts, s-04, WLP002 and Dennys Favorite. This batch is all citra and Dennys Favorite and by far my favorite. I would HIGHLY recommend using Dennys Fav for this recipe, IMO it is even closer to 3Floyds than S04 and WLP002...and Ive drank cases of the real mccoy.

Took a sample today and FG is hit and the taste is a whole lotta grapefruit. Can't wait to get this in secondary and dry hop.

Well I racked it to secondary a few days ago, but I just put in the dry hops today. I had to time it so that in 10 days I would have time to bottle. I'm itchin' to get this bad boy bottled and carbed so I can start drinking it. The wonderful aroma is KILLING me!

Took a bit of a hiatus this summer from brewing as we're getting ready to welcome a new assistant brewer to the family in a few weeks but I've had too many requests for this from friends and familty. Scored a lb of Citra from my LHBS for $30 (still pricey imo, but if I want it looks like I gotta pay) and had most of the grain on hand so brewed up a new batch on Saturday.
It's happily bubbling away in my fermenter.

Off topic - ordered a pound of Chinook from Farmhouse over the weekend so I'm planning on doing a single hop IPA with that too. Will post in a new thread on the results.

Just brewed the extract/PM version of this past weekend. Don't mean to brag but pretty much nailed the OG with a reading 1.064. :) I did the 1 hour steep and kept the temp between 150-155 as close as possible. Fermenting away now in my basement and smelling awesome. I used a regular packet of the S04, I can't bring myself spend the extra money on those starter packs and never had a problem with pitching dry yeast.

Bottled this up yesterday and of course tasted a sample. Wowzers, the whole kitchen smelled like I was cutting into a grapefruit. The bitterness was just where I wanted it with lots of grapefruit flavor. I will definitely be brewing this one again! I almost grabbed a bottle and drank it flat and warm it was so good. Thanks for the recipe!

Got this boiling away as we speak, although this go around I'm doing an even split of southern cross and citra.

Question about the FWH addition: if I plug this recipe into Beersmith I seem to end up with a whopping 92.5 IBU, and my FWH contributes 41.8 to the total. I come closer to 65 IBU if I treat the FWH addition as a 20 minute addition, as mentioned somewhere in this thread. Is the difference between calculated bitterness and perceived bitterness from FWH really this huge? Or is Beersmith wrong?

Since there's been no complaints about bitterness in this thread, I assume I can safely brew this without ending up with something completely unbalanced, I'm just a bit confused about the IBU difference and I need some reassurance :) I plan on brewing this tomorrow.

Yeah, if you follow the recipe there's no way you get 90 IBUs. Mine turned out citrusy and floral with very mild bitterness, probably somewhere in the 50s or 60s.

About to go another round with this brew. Came out phenomenally the first time and I was lucky enough to grab two lbs of Citra from the LHBS! Only weeks away from probably the best beer I've ever brewed!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned in a previous post.

In the interest of conserving some citra, has anyone tried this using a neutral bittering hop @60min and moved the FWH to 20min? I think I'll brew this one to the T on my first try, but would be interested in trying it with some magnum down the road and see how that goes.

Thanks for the recipe Skeezer!

The results:
IMAG0270.jpg

Are those printed caps? How did you do that?

Just brewed a partial mash version of this. Subbed out the first addition for Magnum. So while not a clone, I'm excited for the extra ounce of Citra I was able to split between 15, 10, and 5 minute additions.

Had an OG of 1.072, which Suprises me since this was my first PM. That said I am really happy about keeping my temp constant and am excited to dry hop in a week and half.

Bottled my newest go at this one.
It is by far mine and my hop-head friends favorite beer that I make.
Need to tinker with my grain bill as my efficiency jumped for the 60's to high 70's just switching to a bazooka tube.
This one is coming in hot at around 6.9%

I don't think the extract version in beersmith accounts for getting any sugars out of the steeping grains. If you hold them at 150-155 or so until conversion, it is basically a mini-mash. Try changing beersmith from extract to PM.

steeping grains will not extract alot of sugar from specialty grains, no matter how long they are mashed because highly kilned specialty malts do not have they neccessary enzymes that a well modified base malt would have to convert the starches to sugar. If that's what you are looking to do, I would throw some 2 row in there and try doing your calculations based on a mini mash.

char005 said:
steeping grains will not extract alot of sugar from specialty grains, no matter how long they are mashed because highly kilned specialty malts do not have they neccessary enzymes that a well modified base malt would have to convert the starches to sugar. If that's what you are looking to do, I would throw some 2 row in there and try doing your calculations based on a mini mash.

Do you consider Munich and Melanoiden specialty grains? No one said that steeping will make more sugar just that controlling temp can act as a mini mash when steeping.

Grrr brewed this today on my new set up and missed mash temps and was short on og by ten points. Guess I will have to get more practice in on my new rig. Hope it is at least decent despite my **** ups.

So are we thinking;
Brew
About 10 days later dry hop
About 10 days later bottle?
I know it depends on the numbers (steady gravity reading).
Also, can I get away with not using a secondary and just putting the dryhops in the primary?
And.. do you think it would benefit to split the dry hops into a few different grain bags?
do I need to weigh the bags down?
Thanks

So are we thinking;
Brew
About 10 days later dry hop YES, sometimes I let it go longer
About 10 days later bottle? YES
I know it depends on the numbers (steady gravity reading).
Also, can I get away with not using a secondary and just putting the dryhops in the primary? YES
And.. do you think it would benefit to split the dry hops into a few different grain bags? You can, it makes them easier to remove
do I need to weigh the bags down? I usually do
Thanks

See above in bold

Just wanted to say I've tested my first bottle of this and WOW it's awesome, best brew I've made so far - tastes very close to the real thing.

If I dont first wort hop, can I do a 60 minute boil of 1 oz of Citra?? Or maybe .5 oz Warrior?? I use the BIAB method, and in BeerSmith, if I use .5 oz of Warrior at 60 minutes, it gives me about 65 IBU using everything else the same in the hop schedule. Sound alright???

Brewed this last night used Millinum at 60min 1oz for bittering. And used fresh Citra hops for the rest can't wait to Finnish this up. Thanks for the recipe, good Brewing

Brewed today. Almost hit my marks. BIAB style in an 11 gallon kettle.

OG-1.060
Brewday went pretty good. I am oxygenatin the wort right now and going to pitch 1.5 packets of S-04, trying to get my final gravity a bit lower than 1.018 or so. Hope it works. I prefer a little drier style. Maybe Ill use a cleaner finishing yeast next time, but this is what I have right now.

Hydro sample smells great. All whole leaf Citra that seemed to absorb quite a bit of wort. Tried to squeeze some of it out. Ended up with about 5.75 gallons into the fermentor. We shall see!!!

Cheers.

Your post (and location - I'm in SF) are eerily similar to mine. I brewed it Saturday - BIAB in 11 gallon kettle w/whole citra hops also - (Columbus pellets used as FWH for bittering though).

I went with While Labs 007 (Dry English) because it is more attenuative and had some saved from a previous batch...

Haha. Kind of ironic.

I used Warrior for 60 minute addition for bittering. Didnt want to waste the precious Citra for bittering. Maybe we can trade a bottle and compare. I mashed a tiny bit low at 151-152. I wanted to d othis also to try and get it to finish a little drier/ cleaner.

Do the hop additions in this recipe have the be scaled up to use all whole leaf instead of pellet? I stopped in my LHBS today was able to get two pounds of citra whole leaf for $14.99 a pound. No pellets though. I have only ever purchased pellet hops so this will be new for me.

Here is the extract/PM conversion:

Batch Size: 5g
Boil Volume: 3g

6.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 70.6 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 11.8 %
0.50 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.9 %
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (60 min) Hops 25.1 IBU
0.75 oz Citra [12.40%] (First Wort Hop) Hops 12.5 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (15 min) Hops 12.4 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (10 min) Hops 9.1 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (1 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
3.00 oz Citra [12.40%] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
SafAle English Ale (S-04)
or
Wyeast 1968

This is assuming a 3g boil, so if you can do a full boil remove the extra oz of hops at 60minutes.

Ferment at 65F for 7-10 days

The FWH addition's IBUs are calculated as a 20 minute addition to better calculate the perceived IBUs. They are boiled the whole 60 minutes.

This recipe has had favorable results with both S-04 and WY1968. For more information here is the original thread from the Recipes/Ingredients section:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/3-floyds-zombie-dust-attempt-help-info-requested-245456/[/QUOTE]

Do the hop additions in this recipe have the be scaled up to use all whole leaf instead of pellet? I stopped in my LHBS today was able to get two pounds of citra whole leaf for $14.99 a pound. No pellets though. I have only ever purchased pellet hops so this will be new for me.

The hop weights are all the same wether its whole leaf or pellet. You will just notice that when you weigh them out, the whole leaf hops take up a LOT more space than pellets would. They also absorb a LOT more water/ wort than pellet hops do. So plan for that. Not sure how much exactly, but I figured about .25 gallon in hops alone. I ended up with a bit more wort, but that also means more beer. Yay!

I think you will like the end result though!! Have a good brew day.

I am almost ready to bottle. If I have 5.5 gallons to bottle, how much priming sugar? 4oz?

According to https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/, at room temp (assuming 70):

2.75 volumes (I like my IPA's carb'd high)

Sugar Type Weight
Glucose (dextrose or corn sugar) 5.7 oz
Sucrose (table sugar) 5.4 oz
DME 55% AA (eg: Laaglander) 13.1 oz
DME 70% AA (eg: Northwestern) 10.3 oz
DME 75% AA (eg: Munton & Fison) 9.6 oz

Back