EdWort's Apfelwein Sulphur smell question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm very interested to make some of this stuff, judging by the number of gallons so far, it's a real HBT success story. Trouble is, I brew in the basement which is only a few planks of wood away from the living room. If a sulphur smell is being emitted during fermentation, it will probably lead to the whole thing being thrown out of the house into the street and a general icyness around the whole concept of brewing your own!

Is the sulphur issue because of the Montrachet yeast or a general issue with fermenting ciders? A book I found in the library talked about it as being a result of using wine yeast for fermentation but I wanted to ask if anyone has been able to avoid this problem so far.

Thnx in advance.

I've really never understood what all the fuss is about. It smells like fermenting apple juice for a couple of days at most. All stuff is going to have some fermenting aroma during the aggressive fermentation stage.

If you are really concerned, try a 1 gallon batch first.

In my few batches, it is really a non-issue. I only smell the sulphur when I bury my nose in the airlock....Now the Wyeast 3068 that I'm using for a current batch smells quite a bit nastier than the Monty...but really, it's not that big of a deal.

Back