Bohemian style beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delicious...

Actually, your question is too open. Are we talking a Bohemian Pilsner, Bohemian Wheat, something else?

It was an inside joke.

It's nice to see such a prompt response from the beer style police, though. :)

I was thinking to myself, No it doesn't..... But maybe it's just another side of the spectrum....

Anyways. I've had bohemian Wheat (Essentially a Weizen brewed in Czech region). But this will fall under the more broad Weizen category.

Is the OP confusing Bohemia, which is a Mexican Cervesa brewed in the style of the Czech Pilsner. I haven't had one is a while so I am unsure how to style it is.

The original Stroh's recipe I had when a lot younger was more commonly known then as Bohemian Style beer. The recipe is a bit different now.

I was thinking to myself, No it doesn't..... But maybe it's just another side of the spectrum....

Sam Adams calls it a Bo Pils:

Samuel Adams said:
Samuel Adams® Noble Pils is brewed with all 5 Noble hops for a distinct hop character and fresh taste. Deep golden in color with a citrusy hop aroma, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is a traditional Bohemian Pilsner.

The honeyed malt character from traditional Bohemian malt is balanced by delicate yet pronounced citrus, floral, and piney notes from the Noble hops. The winner of our 2009 Beer Lover’s Choice® election, this beer was chosen by over 67,000 drinkers for its crisp complexity and refreshing taste.

Can anybody describe this type of beer - and do you like it? Saw some in the store an am curious. Thanks!

"Bohemian style" beer has been used through the years by breweries to describe their American light lager. It is a stretch but everyday light American lager, in spite of its blandness, is a descendent of Bohemian (Czech) pilsner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anybody describe this type of beer - and do you like it? Saw some in the store an am curious. Thanks!

I'm guessing troll. It would be like someone goes to a camera board and wonders how they can take 3d shots with his Instamatic from his Grandma's house.

onthekeg said:
I'm guessing troll. It would be like someone goes to a camera board and wonders how they can take 3d shots with his Instamatic from his Grandma's house.

No - not trolling. I saw a beer that described itself as a "bohemian Style" beer and was curious as to what it was referring to.

The original Stroh's recipe I had when a lot younger was more commonly known then as Bohemian Style beer. The recipe is a bit different now.

The recipe of today's Stroh's has absolutely NO similarity to the product produced in Stroh's heyday (late 70's early 80's). My goal in homebrewing life it to try to replicate that recipe! (though I'm not sure how I'll know when I get there since I haven't had an original Stroh's since about 1985!) Anybody else ever played with this recipe? :fro:

Also,in that Shawshank Redemption clip,you can clearly see the old Stroh's label! Replicating the flavor of that beer & other's from those days is what got me into brewing beer. Besides how much easier it is nowadays. I'd like to find some info on the original recipes. I have one idea for an ale that brewed a certain way with very particular hops would give something of those flavors. Thought I'd do that,then switch the same rcipe to a lager yeast when I can. Didn't know where to start,sooo...:tank:

Yep. for the most part. I'm trying to replicate the Stroh's of old....my high school days....Done some research and have some ideas, but haven't yet made the jump into all grain. Want to put a couple more batches under my belt before I try that...

http://www.bjcp.org/docs/2008_Guidelines.pdf

Style 2B. I believe you're talking about Bohemian Pilsners?

Thanks for this post! Haven't been on much lately, but downloaded the entire document and some great information in there! I've added it to my reference collection and have referred back to it several times already. Noobs like me don't know where to look for this kinda info, so thanks to you all-timers for the boost!:mug:

Back