New slop sink in basement!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well not new, but newly installed. Last night after work I sweated in the feeds for the sink and fought with the cold feed for some time (just wouldn't drain all the way). Just a little waste pipe work tonight and the sink will be online. I can't wait to have an easy place to soak and wash all my brewing and bottling stuff without tying up the kitchen! :ban: I'm so excited, and SWMBO is too, yipeeee

Now you just need a stove down there. Thats what I dream of... a basement with a gas stove and a big sink. If the stove idea is out of reach then there's gotta be someway to do a full wort boil in the basement with something. I can't wait till I have a basement. I took over the 1/2 bathroom on my main level for all my equipment. There is an industrial shelf over the toilet so you can't even see it.

Happy to hear someone's upgrading.

I need to replace my sink. It's trashed and I'm seriously considering one with a garbage disposal. Haven't found one that would work with a disposal, so it would be another DIY.

Yeah, when I added my mopsink down in my brewery, it was the best thing I could've done. So great...I keep all the mess outside of the kitchen. I brew outside, ferment in the brewery, clean up in the washroom...and the wife's happy.

I wouldn't want a stove inside, though. Even the nicest gas ranges can't hold a candle (no pun intended) to your basic turkey fryer burner.

Just installed one in the new house as well... Brewing will commence in the garage, but fermenting and bottling will take place in the basement.

Man... I need to finish all these friggin house projects so I can finish building the 20 gallon sculpture... :mad:

I'm in process of adding counterspace, double utility sink and lagering freezer to my storage room in the basement.

In regards to indoor boils...... Would a bathroom exhaust fan in the storage room with an open window in the basement be enough to keep from killing myself if I were to use propane indoors. I'm assuming the heat the burner puts out would more than offset the cold air the window lets in.

Any thoughts?

missing link said:
I'm in process of adding counterspace, double utility sink and lagering freezer to my storage room in the basement.

In regards to indoor boils...... Would a bathroom exhaust fan in the storage room with an open window in the basement be enough to keep from killing myself if I were to use propane indoors. I'm assuming the heat the burner puts out would more than offset the cold air the window lets in.

Any thoughts?

The main concern is the amount of air required for combustion. Lets say you've got a monster 300,000 btu burner in your basement. You are doing an AG batch with maybe one or two small basement windows open. You'd need to do some calculations, but the bottom line is if you dont have enough supply air. The burner will pull the extra air it needs from wherever it can.... for example - your furnace flue. You've now got a backdraft down your chimney, pulling in the carbon monoxide from the furnace. :drunk:

This ought to sum it up:

Box fan in window for exhaust....upstairs window cracked for inflow...

Double basin sink for...double basin sink stuff.

Using the king of propane burners inside.

IndoorBrew_4.JPG

Druck, yes...

Dead, no...

Me_Brewing.jpg

If that stool wasn't in the way, you'd see that PVC runs to the right and then around the corner, connecting to a main house line. (You can see where it corners)

That house line runs into the ground where all the sewage plumbing connects and runs to the front of the propoerty, connecting to the public utility sewage line.

Around here, when houses are built, sewage plumbing is laid prior to pouring the basement floors. I simply tied into one of the existing house drain lines.

Back