Adding Water The Day After???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briant75

Reaction score
So I am attempting my first batch...everything went off ok seemingly but I finished late last night. I realized when I woke up that I did not add the extra gallon and a half to get it up to 5 gallons in my bucket. Is it too late?

How can I tell if the fermenting has started inside of a bucket that I can't see indside?

Thanks.

I would not add the water, just let it go. Do you have an airlock on the bucket or a blowoff tube? Fermentation has probably started, did you pitch dry yeast, liquid or a starter?

I'm no expert, but why would you not top it off to 5 gallons now? It should have no effect on the malt or hop additions obviously, since that was done according to the boil schedule. Boil the extra water if you want and top it off.

Geez, go ahead and top it up to 5 gallons. No need to worry about it. Just do it!

+1 for Yooper's advice. What is the difference adding the water now as opposed to last night? You're just talking about adding water. No reason to be scared.

Additionally, don't worry about the fermentation at this point. Wait a couple weeks and if you're still curious you can open the bucket and take a hydrometer reading. Be patient....

Back