Advice on using unpasteurized juice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiderScot

Reaction score
Ok, I've tried to find the right thread but thought I'd go ahead and ask this instead of searching around for what I'm looking for!

I have been making cider for over a year now, mostly using store bought organic, pasteurized juice with different combinations of natural cane sugar or honey and various yeasts. I've had some great results and some that didn't turn out too well. Most of my friends say my ciders taste like a mix between champagne and beer and they surely pack a punch!

After reading the forum for a bit, I thought I'd try a batch using 5 gallons of unpasteurized juice from a local orchard along with local honey and Wyeast London Ale III. Can anyone point me to a good recipe that would use that combination?

Also, is there anything I need to add to the juice or do to the juice before I start? Sounds like I need to add Campden tablets, is that right?

Sorry for the newbie questions, I've really just found the forum and have mostly been working off of some information given to be from the local homebrew shop!

It sounds like you are on the right track. I would use Potassium Metabisulfite powder instead of campden tablets. It's the exact same chemical but already powdered. It is usually a little cheaper than tablets.

It sounds like you are on the right track. I would use Potassium Metabisulfite powder instead of campden tablets. It's the exact same chemical but already powdered. It is usually a little cheaper than tablets.

Ok, so I add it before doing anything and wait how long? Also, I'd like my cider to be clear; I read I should add pectin enzyme to make that happen. At what point should I add that and how long should I wait before proceeding on with the honey and yeast?

I usually recommend against sulfites, as many people are sensitive to them to one degree or another. You could very gently pasteurize it on the stovetop, just get it to 190*f and hold it there for a few minutes, this kills off most things.

Pitch a crap ton of yeast from a starter either way though, best way to prevent bacteria or unwanted yeast strains from screwing your brew up is to simply make sure the yeast you're using massively out competes it right off the hop.

I usually recommend against sulfites, as many people are sensitive to them to one degree or another. You could very gently pasteurize it on the stovetop, just get it to 190*f and hold it there for a few minutes, this kills off most things.

Pitch a crap ton of yeast from a starter either way though, best way to prevent bacteria or unwanted yeast strains from screwing your brew up is to simply make sure the yeast you're using massively out competes it right off the hop.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a new problem though!

I've heated the cider and it's cooling down. I busted the internal package in the Wyeast package and it says to wait 3 hours after that. I don't think the cider is going to be cooled down too much by the time the 3 hours are up! Should I wait to pitch the yeast?! I could always go get another Wyeast package, I'd rather just pay for another than ruin this batch.

Thank you! I wanted to try a cider that was close to natural as I can get, with repeatable results (somewhat)...any suggestions on a good strong yeast?

I've always used whatever ale yeast I can get my hands on for beer or even 'light mead' I'm fairly new to cider, but nottingham seems to be popular, same with safale.

More than anything, i support pitching a very large healthy starter made using sterile juice or wort a minimum of 24h before (48 is better). For meads or wines, i've always used tinned apple juice. It's sterile right off the hop, you just sterilize the top of the can and your piercing tool.

Back