Too much head, never thought this would be a problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambam190

Reaction score
OK so I have 3 different beers that we put on tap: a Saison, a Red and an Alaskan Amber clone.

These beers went through a rough summer. Our brew garage lost its AC so they were left for about a week in 90F + temps, we also suspended brewing for the summer due partially to wanting to be out side and also to a huge mold issue resulting from the 180+ gallons brewed last winter. These beers were left in Primary untouched for 3 months.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. I kegged all three and took them to a fantasy football draft weekend (want to get a good team, show up with a keg of 10% beer to get everyone else sloshed). In order to make sure that the beer was sufficiently carbonated I forced carbonated for 24 hours @ 20 PSI. We typically serve around 7 PSI with no issues. I had foamy beer all weekend. Even after I emptied all of the pressure off of the kegs. I blamed a bad regulator that I use for my portable kegs (it reads 0-1000 PSI in 10 PSI intervals, rookie mistake purchase).

Now we have these same kegs on our regular tap,they are still foamy but taste flat.

Typically when I pour a glass it is 100% foam, how do I fix this?

How long has your beer been cooled after carbonation?
Might be that the co2 just hasnt settled in solution

Could be overcarbed too, in that case you need to release the pressure heat up to room temp and recarb(let it heat up with the reilief valve jammed open)

How long has your beer been cooled after carbonation?
Might be that the co2 just hasnt settled in solution

How long does this typically take? And if you are carbing a 12 psi over say 2 weeks then want to server should you turn down the pressure or leave it the same. It seems like every time I keg a beer it gets more and move head over time if i leave it at 12 psi.

Sorry to high jack the thread, it is kind of on topic though.

Back